Talk

Advanced search

Should I pay builder for sick day?

(12 Posts)
BoysRule Tue 18-Feb-14 17:58:02

Just after a quick bit of advice. We have a builder in our house at the moment who is on roughly a 5 week job (just as long as it takes to finish rather than a set time). We are paying him his daily rate plus materials. He is off sick today - do we pay him for it?

Hassled Tue 18-Feb-14 18:00:57

I'd say no - as in, you're under no obligation to. He's self-employed presumably.

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Tue 18-Feb-14 18:02:19

Absolutely not. Unfortunately this is one of the pitfalls of being self employed.

superram Tue 18-Feb-14 18:03:23

No, but presumably he will just finish the job one day later? The actual cost will be the same as no of days will stay the same.

MmeMorrible Tue 18-Feb-14 18:03:33

No, he's working for you on a time and materials basis - you only pay for the time he actually works.

milkysmum Tue 18-Feb-14 18:04:40

No definatley not

AlpacaLypse Tue 18-Feb-14 18:04:54

No. It's the downside of self employment. I don't expect to get paid for days I can't walk the client's dogs.

peggyundercrackers Tue 18-Feb-14 18:05:34

you should have got him to give you a price to finish the job rather than a daily rate - how do you know hes going to finish the job in a reasonable time rather than string it out and fleece you?

BoysRule Tue 18-Feb-14 18:27:12

Thanks everyone.
Peggyundercrackers - it's not an ideal situation but we had a set time to do the job before we moved in and didn't have time to get quotes etc. I trust him though - he came highly recommended.

2cats2many Tue 18-Feb-14 18:34:22

God no! And I speak as the wife of a builder. Totally uncalled for.

livingatheendofthewall Wed 19-Feb-14 14:31:44

No, definitely not. You're not his employer, he's self-employed so responsible for ensuring he works an extra day or extra hours over the duration of his contract with you to ensure completion.

LondonGirl83 Wed 19-Feb-14 16:39:47

No, you don't pay him for it. Also, if he goes over his time estimate, don't pay him without a reasonable explanation regarding unforseen events etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now