Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Deposit for new kitchen ??

(20 Posts)
miffyt Tue 18-Feb-14 14:56:31

So we finally chose a new kitchen but when it came to the deposit the company want, 30% now, fair enough but then the rest of the money bar £1200 seven days before it's due to be installed! That seems way too much. They more or less said take it or leave it so we left. I know it all needs paying but I think to expect so much paying out to them on trust of it being on time done right and no damage is a bit steep. Is this normal??

annalouiseh Tue 18-Feb-14 18:10:26

You go to a shed and all money is required upfront.
the £1200 will be a retainer for a any damages and customer satisfaction on fitting, the amount will depend on the cost of the whole kitchen and fitting involved to how much you are offered.

lookdeepintotheparka Tue 18-Feb-14 18:15:26

That's what we are doing - paying a deposit then paying half the full amount a week before installation of the new kitchen. Sounded standard practice to me. Must admit I didn't question the company about it!

miffyt Tue 18-Feb-14 20:06:52

The kitchen is £17500. I think that only leaving £1200 for any damage and customer satisfaction is way too low. If they dropped a hammer on my Aga thats already in it would be a big chunk of money gone.
I'd have thought more like a third on completion was reasonable. Seems like we should trust them but they don't want to trust us.

kmdesign Tue 18-Feb-14 20:39:43

I think the retainer they suggest is very fair.

Sure there could be a cock up and the house could go up in flames, but you have to work off realistic possibilities.

If they can offer enough references of properly completed jobs and have a good reputation, there is no reason for them to let you down.

annalouiseh Tue 18-Feb-14 20:40:52

How much of that is fitting?

PigletJohn Tue 18-Feb-14 20:56:29

be sure to pay it on a credit card, then at least you can claim against the card co if the installers bungle or go bust.

miffyt Wed 19-Feb-14 07:44:51

Thanks Pigletjohn, it will defo be on card!

wonkylegs Wed 19-Feb-14 07:50:33

We paid a 1/3 on order, a 1/3 when they had made the kitchen in the workshop (handmade solid oak) and a 1/3 on completion.
This seemed fair to us. We also had excellent reviews of the company by our friends, could go and see what they were building at any time (which DS loved) and know where they physically are etc.
If you can pay by CC as PJ says you will have an additional layer of protection.

miffyt Wed 19-Feb-14 09:51:55

Thanks Wonkylegs, that's what we were expecting it to be. The company are have been making kitchens and bedroom furniture for some years but have just opened a factory showroom to sell direct to the public. I suppose they're cutting out the middleman ( the independent showroom) as a way of making more money. Seeing as this means they don't pay upfront for the manufacture and all the materials they use will be paid for on account, asking us to pay over 90% before we see the kitchen is way off the mark.

miffyt Wed 19-Feb-14 09:59:07

As for realistic possibilities of things being damaged, well we had a beautiful limestone fireplace made last year. We then had a company out to fit a stove, they didn't cover the hearth which hadn't been sealed as it takes a few weeks to dry out. They got soot on the hearth then dropped a tool on which chipped it! Luckily the stonemason sorted it out but accidents do happen and other people are never as careful with your things as you are yourself.

Madamecastafiore Wed 19-Feb-14 10:02:27

I wouldn't pay anymore than the deposit until the job us finished and I am satisfied.

You own a business you are given credit by your suppliers by way if trade accounts etc and so should be able to run it without having the money up front. If not change how you run your business.

LEMmingaround Wed 19-Feb-14 10:08:06

£17,500 for a kitchen??? <falls over> Reminds myself that pushing my DP to make bespoke kitchens for people is really the way to go! Thats ALOT of money. My DP is a carpenter but its just him, if he were making your kitchen he would ask for the money for the materials up front, the rest payable on completion or unless it was a long job he might ask for split payments. Am incredulous that companies ask for all of the money up-front, its madness - saying they just don't do the job??

I have to say though - WHY did you not wait a couple of weeks to seal the hearth? We also fit stoves and would have refused to fit it on an unsealed hearth for that very reason.

LEMmingaround Wed 19-Feb-14 10:10:03

Madame - that is all well and good, if you have the credit from the supplier and then for some reason the customer cancels at the last minute, you have made the kitchen so you can't return the materials - its specific to that customers requirements, you have no way of getting your money back.

miffyt Wed 19-Feb-14 10:27:09

It's a long story with the fireplace.... Quick version, company fit stove in to fireplace we had, turns out it was illegal, didn't meet regulations. Company an old established business so should have known what they were doing. Stove taken out. New fireplace fitted, stove put back. Though sealed or not it wouldn't have stopped the twit from chipping it by dropping something on it :-O
It is a hell of a lot of money for a kitchen and it is too much to pay upfront. Yes I can understand if the customer cancels but if you've paid a third, that should cover materials then another third to cover other costs just before fitting, the rest on completion. I don't know anyone who can afford to lose that sort of money by just changing their minds.

LEMmingaround Wed 19-Feb-14 10:36:29

miffy - i agree, you should only pay materials up front and not until the company starts to make the products. A third sounds about right to me - we would take money for the major materials up front, the rest of the materials we would cover and take payment at the end, so usually two payments. Have to say i am envy of your kitchen - my DP spends so much time making other peoples houses beautiful that ours is overlooked - cobblers children and all that smile Good luck with it all x you would be surprised abut people changing their minds - my DP was once in his van on his way to fit a bathroom and the client called him and told him they had changed their minds hmm fortunately he hadn't forked any money out at this point, but at three weeks before xmas it left us scrabbling around to find work to cover that time.

miffyt Wed 19-Feb-14 11:11:27

Amazing!! Can't believe people can leave it so late to cancel. I hope you get your dream kitchen soon. (smile)

miffyt Wed 19-Feb-14 11:12:20

:-)

JaneBabez2014 Thu 27-Feb-14 16:14:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MyCatIsFat Thu 27-Feb-14 17:12:00

I paid a deposit of �500 when I committed to having the kitchen and then the balance of �8K when it was completed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now