Talk

Advanced search

calor gas stove which looks like a wood burner what are they like?

(13 Posts)
seasidechina2013 Mon 17-Feb-14 21:58:26

I have the age old problem of a cold conservatory,( it needs a new roof & a general overhaul). I'd love a log burner but that will really bump up the cost of the improvements the conservatory needs. Came across a post which mentioned a calor gas heater that looks like a stove (think it's called Provence )
Would be grateful to hear of experiences of this please if anyone has one.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 17-Feb-14 22:04:19

I have two of these ! they are great ! totally recommend them !!!

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 17-Feb-14 22:06:29

www.houzz.com/photos/4419797/So-Houzz-wants-photos-not-drawings--traditional-family-room-other-metro
here's a pic of the one on my lounge !!

Dillydollydaydream Tue 18-Feb-14 01:18:04

Ooh that's really lovely

PigletJohn Tue 18-Feb-14 09:18:45

is this a heater with no flue or chimney, which vents the fumes and steam into the room, so you inhale them and they cause damp and condensation?

Alwayscheerful Tue 18-Feb-14 09:25:32

Many rental agreements state that the use of portable gas appliances are prohibited - for the reasons that piglet john mentions.

Fine as a temporary arrangement eg in the case of power cuts but look for a better long term solution.

cafesociety Tue 18-Feb-14 11:21:38

Don't they cause a lot of condensation? Not what would be welcome in a conservatory I would imagine, with numerous windows/areas of glass.

noddyholder Tue 18-Feb-14 13:34:37

My friend has one of these in an off white colour it looks amazing but does produce condensation.

seasidechina2013 Tue 18-Feb-14 19:12:01

Hi thanks so much for the photo - it looks fab! I would just love a log burning stove but it would be so expensive. This seems a great alternative although appreciate what people are saying about condensation - any other experiences of them welcome along with anyone who has found the solution of the cold unusable conservatory with a leaky roof!

TypicaLibra Wed 19-Feb-14 09:11:17

Yuk ... I couldn't imagine anything worse - as PJ said you inhale the fumes as it has no flue, quite apart from the condensation issue. Definitely save up for a wood-burner. That would be lovely for your conservatory.

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 19-Feb-14 09:20:13

Haha ! Love your forthright approach (typical libra ) ! I can't say I've ever noticed fumes ! Admittedly one in a room that's 6m x 5m x 3m tall - so it's a big space - but the other is in a more compact room and not had any issues with fumes or condensation !

LoveVintage Wed 19-Feb-14 09:28:30

We have one in our living room. We had to have an air vent put in before it was installed. We get no condensation. I think it has a catalytic converter in it. Also you have to watch what type of fireplace you have with them - mdf/wood not recommended, We bought the stove first then had to fork out on a marble fireplace. We are very happy with it but would prefer the real thing!

seasidechina2013 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:21:46

thanks for the posts; they do seem a good option.
I think it boils down to whether I go for it and convert the conservatory (which is off the kitchen) into an extension in which case I'll borrow enough to get my log burner. Or don't increase the mortgage, sort conservatory roof out and try this calor gas Provence option.
Mmm, thoughts welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now