Talk

Advanced search

power flush

(20 Posts)
christilass Mon 17-Feb-14 21:45:58

Hi , can someone in the know give an idea of cost to have this done .. Thank you

Patchouli Mon 17-Feb-14 22:55:00

grin

How urgent is it?

Haribolover Tue 18-Feb-14 09:14:09

About £500 with British Gas last time I had it done, probably cheaper with a local plumber.

PigletJohn Tue 18-Feb-14 09:16:36

it will cost some hundreds of pounds. If done properly it will take more than half a day. It is not always done properly. It is a good moneyspinner for people in the boiler repair business, which is why they encourage people to have it done. It is often worthwhile in a 30-year old system; and it is often necessary when there is a fundamental defect in the design of the system, allowing air or fresh water to enter. If you have a defect then you are wasting your money on a powerflush if you don't have the defect corrected first.

Very often a DIY chemical clean will help a lot, if you are fond of DIY, and might cost you £30 plus a couple of half-days.

Why do you want it?

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 18-Feb-14 09:17:58

found this on boilerguide.co.uk
...Cost and time needed for a powerflush
Most powerflushing professionals state that a full powerflush will take around 6 hours to complete. This is an estimate though as some badly affected heating systems will require more time whilst others may be finished quicker.
The price of a full system powerflush varies with location and the size of the heating system and can range from £350 up to £1200+. Occasionally the descaler isn’t included in the original quoted price and needs to be paid for on top.

so a bit more than just a bottle of Fernox then ! wow !!!

AnotherWorld Tue 18-Feb-14 10:55:04

We had ours done a couple of years ago when we had boiler replaced. It went from a bubbly noisy system to totally silent. Well worth the £700 - we also had a filter fitted to catch all the debris.

fludnelb Tue 18-Feb-14 12:07:28

We need to have this done - old system with lots of gunge - and our plumber has quoted us £450. I was a bit surprised as he charged us £500 for a full bathroom refit a couple of years ago... but I guess he has to make his money somewhere and it seems a good price anyway to what others are saying.

PigletJohn Tue 18-Feb-14 12:28:04

if you have it done (or if you do a DIY chemical clean) I strongly advise having a system filter fitted at the same time. It will cost round about £100 plus fitting, which is easier when the system is drained during cleaning.

wonkylegs Tue 18-Feb-14 12:47:03

I don't know how much ours cost as it was part of a larger job. It took 2 days (2 flushes on a large system that hadn't been touched in over 25yrs) but made a huge difference to the performance of the radiators. We also got a Magnaclean system fitted which helps with the residual gunk.
I wouldn't bother with a new system but one like ours with 30yr+ old rads & pipes that are heading for about 50-60yrs old in places, it made a huge difference.

christilass Tue 18-Feb-14 15:06:31

Thanks everyone.
new boiler fitted 2 years ago
rads etc approx 25 urs old
2 weeks ago shower started cutting out after 7 mins had to reset boiler to resume shower .
bosh came out yesterday under guarantee, turned boiler down a little and put chemical flush through , shower ok at the moment
engineer has advised power flush to be carried out , engineer says of shower then starts cutting out again it means the heat exchanger has been damaged and will need replaced ,this will only be replaced under the guarantee if i have the paperwork stating the power flush has been carried out .
thanks everyone who has taken time to read and reply
any further advice would be great thank you

miffyt Tue 18-Feb-14 15:14:13

We have British Gas cover on the central heating. Every time they came to service the boiler they would mention a power flush. The system is 15 years old but it has bits of metal in from when it wad fitted. We ended up having a Magnaclean fitted. I can't just remember how much it cost but it was less than BG quoted for the flush. Not had any problems with it since then.

specialsubject Tue 18-Feb-14 15:16:13

if you have microbore pipe then powerflush deemed waste of time. Gentle chemical clean, leave for a few days, flush out.

magnaclean supply and fit for £100, you will need to clean it yourself every few days to start with, then reducing - we now do ours once a month. Simple process but do open and close valves in the right order!

Lagoonablue Tue 18-Feb-14 16:26:35

Bloody British Gas! Yes they advised a power flush for us recently due to some corrosion they saw on a part they replaced. Hmmmmmm. Now it has been advised, if there is any further problem, such as a part requiring replacement or whatever then they will not cover it under their cover scheme. I think it's a con.

PigletJohn Tue 18-Feb-14 18:40:43

If somebody installed a new boiler on a 25 year old system 2 years ago, and did not thoroughly clean the system first, then they are at fault and did not install the boiler in accordance with manufacturers instructions.

Was the boiler installer a reputable company, and are they still in business? You have grounds to claim against them.

christilass Tue 18-Feb-14 22:25:41

Hi Piglet
yes it was a reputable company , still in business , infact he has quoted me £350 to power flush it , he tells me he powerflushed it when he installed it ,
piglet what should I do ?

christilass Tue 18-Feb-14 22:29:34

Hes also said its on the benchmark which is also my service book .

PigletJohn Tue 18-Feb-14 22:47:38

show the powerflushing evidence to the engineer. Did he test the water quality? Has the boiler got a pressure gauge on the front?

Have you got microbore piping to the radiators (about the size of a pencil?) Do you know how long the flushing took?

I would be happier if you had a system filter installed. You could get that done now.

Have you told the installer that the makers are complaining the system is dirty?

christilass Thu 20-Feb-14 11:51:59

Hi piglet
my original installer of boiler is Convinced that its the shower that's the problem , so much so that hes going to come and look at shower and test it next week .
he has also told me that he put through chemical flush as per the boliers manufacturing guidelines when he installed it but made no mention of it being a powerflush .
he also tells me my previous boiler was a closed system

im concerned as bosh engineer says i must have it power flushed now to keep my guarantee.
i don't want to pay £450 if not needed but feel like im in a corner.
any further help piglet would be fab , thank you .

PigletJohn Thu 20-Feb-14 12:20:09

Have you got microbore piping?

A chemical clean can do a lot of good, especially if a filter is fitted. A powerflush is better, especially if a filter is fitted. Some installers insist on fitting them to reduce callbacks.

Chemical clean is much cheaper.

If a powerflush is necessary to validate the guarantee I think you ought to do it. Either way, get a system filter. You will see from the amount of sediment it captures is your system is dirty.

Beardedandhappy Sun 10-Sep-17 09:59:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now