Talk

Advanced search

Grease marks on paint

(8 Posts)
ImStickingWithYou Mon 17-Feb-14 18:44:35

My not so 'd'c have been throwing those little sticky men that stick to walls. Unfortunately, they chose our 'only been painted a week' lounge walls and now I have little greasy man figures stencilled across all the walls. We have no paint left and a load of family coming this weekend to see our new house. As this is a fixer upper house, the lounge was the only room finished that I was proud of.

What I am asking is, apart from re painting, is there any way to get rid of those grease marks?

Lagoonablue Mon 17-Feb-14 19:20:26

Asked same question recently. I tried various things, none very successfully. Magic sponge removed most of grease but also some paint. Going to paint over.

Next time we paint am going for Endurance or eggshell on walls.

PigletJohn Mon 17-Feb-14 19:53:09

it is matt paint or silk?

ImStickingWithYou Mon 17-Feb-14 20:44:37

Matt paint I think. In the Dulux Authentic Origins range.

PigletJohn Mon 17-Feb-14 20:55:06

matt is not so easy to clean or so durable. If it is a greasy mark I would start by sponging it with a soft sponge and washing-up liquid, and wiping away with kitchen roll. If you rub it you will probably get a shiny mark, and possibly the paint will come off.

Surely most people will accept that young children and elegant decoration are incompatible, though?

Lagoonablue Mon 17-Feb-14 21:07:48

Yes I have accepted that flat heritage f and B style paint is loooooovely. Just not in my house with 2 small kids. I have just had my kitchen painted. Within. 2 weeks there are finger marks, grease spots and I splashed salad dressing up a wall! I am planning on repointing the worst wall but with Dulux Endurance mixed to the same colour as the original.

NewBlueShoesToo Mon 17-Feb-14 21:31:50

I removed lily pollen from a wall with flash Special Surfaces spray. You could try that?

ImStickingWithYou Mon 17-Feb-14 21:52:56

Thanks for the help anyway. I will try your suggestions and then repaint if that doesn't work.

Yes, we are aware elegant decoration does not work with young kids but mine are 7 and 11 now and we hoped that we could have a little bit more of a grown up house now. May have to rethink that plan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now