Advanced search

Replacement meter cupboard ?

(7 Posts)
HaveToWearHeels Mon 17-Feb-14 16:09:58

We have a meter housing for our electric meter on the outside of our house. The door has broken off in the high winds and is now held together with gaffer tape, a plank and a brick (not attractive). Does anyone know whose responsibility it is to replace ?. We have been onto our supplier who is not interested. Obviously the meter is not owned by us (think that's how it works ?) so if it should get water in it they should repair it ?. We don't mind paying but I don't think a general electrician will disconnect a meter (cables go through the meter housing).

PigletJohn Mon 17-Feb-14 16:33:01

write a two-line letter to the company who sends your electricity bill, saying the door is faulty and will they replace it please. Don't waste your time with phone calls to Mumbai that are not on the handlers' scripts. Your letter will be logged and passed along until it reaches someone who knows what to do.

Most likely the door can be replaced and not the whole cabinet. Keep it locked shut in future and the wind should not affect it.

An electrician can't move the meter.

HaveToWearHeels Mon 17-Feb-14 16:42:21

Thanks PigletJohn, will try that, I thought it must be their responsibility if the meter was. It was locked, but one hinge was dodgy, think the wind got in and has now snapped the hinge off.

InsertUsernameHere Mon 17-Feb-14 19:09:22

I thought the householder was responsible for the meter box (not the meter). I'll try and dig up the link that gave me that idea or confirm I made it up

PigletJohn Mon 17-Feb-14 19:18:21

it's vague. When you build a house, the housebuilder has to provide the box. But my box says "property of (well known energy co)" on it. My information is that the DNO or the meter management company mends them. It will not actually be the supplier, but they have a responsibility to pass the letter on. There is a mesh of companies involved.

InsertUsernameHere Mon 17-Feb-14 19:27:23

Scottish Power says this

The gas legislation seems clearer - it's is definitely the householders responsibility.

If you think it is the utility companies fault (eg engineer has been) or the meter reading company didn't shut the door, you can raise a complaint. I imagine they are fairly swamped at the mo.

You could always work out the price of replacing it yourself and work out whether it is worth the hassle. You can get some parts from

PigletJohn Mon 17-Feb-14 19:28:38

I just checked my electrical wholesalers, they do not stock meter cabinets, so if you were expected to fit a replacement, I have no idea where you'd buy one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: