Talk

Advanced search

Original windows in 1890s bungalow?

(5 Posts)
claracluck71 Mon 17-Feb-14 11:38:41

Morning!

We've recently moved in to a 1890s bungalow, and all the windows have been replaced over the years with different styles, so we now have some metal and some upvc in a mixture of different surrounds. We would like to get them replaced, eventually, and ideally we like to have something similar to what would have been there originally. But we have no idea what that would have been!

The ceilings are 10ft high, with a picture rail, and the hallway is very wide and long, but otherwise it is a very modest looking building. The windows are very large, and there are a couple of large bays too. It's in a small rural hamlet, but is the only house like it.

So any ideas? I've tried Googling styles from around that time, but I'm not having much luck.

Thanks,

Clara

deccacards Mon 17-Feb-14 11:56:50

I've just looked at some photos of cottages in our area from around that time, and they all had sash windows like this

Plenty more like those, and different styles on Google Images if you search for sash windows.

claracluck71 Mon 17-Feb-14 12:11:05

Great, thank you!

I thought they probably would have been sash windows, but I wasn't sure. I now just have to convince DH that the sashes on modern windows won't suddenly break - although I don't know if they do or don't!

InsertUsernameHere Mon 17-Feb-14 12:21:07

The size and proportions of the windows will give you a good indication. So get the tape measure out and post them up here. What is the actual date of the house? For example ours is 1916, but built in a style that looks older (1900 ish) and looks older than the 1911 arts and craft house up the road just realised how geeky I've become . Once you have worked out the style - the finer details need to be ironed out - eg the proportion of top to bottom sash, whether it would have horns or not, whether there would have been glazing bars etc. Ask in your local library to see if there are any old photos, also your local planning dept or building control is probably full of people that just know this stuff as they see so many houses near you. Your house will thank you.

tobiasfunke Mon 17-Feb-14 12:33:52

We got new wooden double glazed sash windows for our 1910 house- they were fabulous and really sturdy. There are plenty of companies that do them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now