Talk

Advanced search

I'm moving house...what have I forgotten?

(21 Posts)
Keenoonvino Mon 17-Feb-14 10:38:48

We are due to exchange in a few weeks and this is my list so far:

1. Electrician to remove ceiling lights
2. Notify banks etc Of change of address
3. Put a forwarding address at post office
4. Notify insurance company???? (Can we just transfer our buildings and contents or do we need a whole new policy? I paid for ours outright and it's not due to expire till oct)
5. Removals company
6. Do we need insurance for the move???

What have I forgotten? I'm sure lots! Thanks

JeanSeberg Mon 17-Feb-14 10:41:29

Final readings of all meters - water, gas and electricity.

Are you using a removal company in which case they should provide the insurance, if not it's a good idea to take out cover.

And yes notify building/contents insurance company in advance.

Royal Mail forwarding service?

CointreauVersial Mon 17-Feb-14 10:50:47

Yes, you can just transfer your current insurance, although there may be a different premium depending on the property size/location.

Arrange phone/broadband/cable TV for the new place in good time . We forgot, and had to wait three weeks before Virgin could get us connected. If you are taking over the old occupants account you normally have to ask them to call the phone company as well as you, or they disconnect/reconnect which costs more.

Removal companies normally have their own insurance.

CointreauVersial Mon 17-Feb-14 10:52:22

Notify council tax.

Pinkje Mon 17-Feb-14 11:44:40

Driving licences and car insurance. Don't forget those.

ohhifruit Mon 17-Feb-14 11:57:15

If you have pets you'll need to change the contact details on their microchip. We always forget this one, so it's going to the top of the list for our move.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 17-Feb-14 12:04:27

If you're exchanging before you complete you'll need cover on both properties.

Car insurance is another one that needs changing.

Its worth phoning up to 30 days before you want to amend the insurance policies and get a quote for the changes. We moved last year and paid extra for the remaining 6 months on the car insurance. It would have been cheaper to pay the admin and cash in the old policy and take out a new one because we paid more for the six months than I've now paid for the next whole year! Likewise with house insurance - get a quote policy changes are not competitive.

Child benefit - which in turn notify tax credit can be done online.

hoboken Mon 17-Feb-14 12:06:56

On the day pack light bulbs and loo rolls where you can find them. Some people take everything that is not fixed down...

Keenoonvino Mon 17-Feb-14 18:01:51

Thanks everyone! So many things I hang even thought of!

I also didn't know we needed cover for both properties....interesting. And very useful smile

hifi Mon 17-Feb-14 19:07:18

check the size of van the removal company are using. ours turned up with a Bedford van,3 loads, finished at 10.45pm. nightmare. I put clothing in really strong bin bags from Cost co, could just throw them down the stairs, utility companies take weeks to change your account over. Our vendors money transfer was delayed by 2 hours.one of you needs to be free to drop your old house keys and pick up the new.YOU CANNOT START PACKING EARLY ENOUGH! if you have an American style fridge the doors have to come off, you tube is your friend in showing you how.

Preciousbane Mon 17-Feb-14 20:54:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mellojello Mon 17-Feb-14 20:56:01

Broadband - sometimes a 6 week wait, Are you taking your phone number with you?

Keenoonvino Mon 17-Feb-14 21:17:16

precious that would be awesome!

No we aren't taking our phone number as moving 100 miles away...

Keenoonvino Mon 17-Feb-14 21:18:09

I guess with broadband as soon as we have move date we get that sorted. We are waiting to exchange now...so I guess not much I can do in meantime...
This is so useful, thanks!

Preciousbane Mon 17-Feb-14 23:24:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

InsertUsernameHere Mon 17-Feb-14 23:32:30

If possible get the removal company to pack. It was the best 300 quid I ever spent.

Also are you sure your buyers aren't expecting the light fittings?!

LittleBearPad Mon 17-Feb-14 23:36:11

Pack the kettle, mugs, tea bags and milk last.

lessonsintightropes Mon 17-Feb-14 23:37:23

Insert I would love to know who you used - we paid for packing last time and two burly removal men turned up clueless and with no materials - I was boxing books and running to the supermarket for more boxes as they were loading the first load in the (too-small) van last time, and don't want to do it again!

OP - my Mum has just moved from Cheshire to Hampshire and swore by the Which? guide to moving house - lists a-gogo.

mellojello Tue 18-Feb-14 06:53:10

insert is the £300 for packing only or packing & moving?

If its £300 all in, I may have to do that, sounds great.

InsertUsernameHere Tue 18-Feb-14 07:39:02

Argh - reply just been eaten by phone.

lesson that sounds awful - we had one dodgy move, who was cheap but dreadful, late and broke stuff which I had erased from my memory since then I've always gone by recommendation and not necessarily the cheapest. Our last two moves have been very smooth. I'm in central scotland if that's any use PM me for recommendation.

mello just the addition for packing and materials. See the hard lesson learnt by me re cheapest removers!!

AnotherWorld Tue 18-Feb-14 08:31:07

Last time we moved (Hants) we used Bishops Move. They were fab. We would definitely use them again.

Friend of mine moved with a packing service recently. Very relaxed she was too. Went to the gym and left them to it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now