Talk

Advanced search

Building survey report problems

(6 Posts)
Pinklemon Sun 16-Feb-14 18:51:52

Hi, I'm in the process of buying a house and have been asking advice here quite often. I've received the building survey report. Woodworm is found, old consumer unit which will need updating or complete rewire, and the utility room is partly formed using the walls of the neighbour's garage. It is unlikely that any approvals have been sought from either the neighbour or LA. We have paid the full asking price, now having read the report, I think I will ask for a reduction or may be even pull out. I just don't like the way the utility is built. What do you think?

Preciousbane Sun 16-Feb-14 20:02:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mineofuselessinformation Sun 16-Feb-14 20:05:46

The biggest problem is the planning side of things - if you do decide to go ahead, the current owners need to get retrospective planning permission and / or pay for an indemnity policy that protects any owner in the event of court proceedings.

TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 16-Feb-14 20:19:10

Woodworm on its own raises questions for me, since it's generally a sign of damp. Was damp not mentioned?

Pinklemon Sun 16-Feb-14 20:41:52

Yes damp was found in the base walls porch and base walls utility room. But the surveyor only gives this a condition 1 so it seems he wasn't too concerned.

Pinklemon Sun 16-Feb-14 20:45:52

And also there is an artex ceiling in the lounge but the surveyor only say the ceiling is lined but no mentioned of asbestos at all. Can I assume he is correct?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now