Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Self build

(4 Posts)
shanghaismog Sun 16-Feb-14 15:49:03

Has anyone built their own home? We're looking at a site that has planning permission for a 5 bed home with 134m sq footprint. Just at the start of the fact finding process and not sure we have quite enough capital to secure lending...the site is v expensive! Any top tips?

shanghaismog Wed 19-Feb-14 08:47:34

No one? I have many questions...

DesperateHousewife21 Wed 19-Feb-14 09:34:39

Sorry dont have many answers but am in a similar position except we are v fortunate in that we're being given the land by my parents (they have a large enough garden to give us a section to build on)

We're literally at the start of the road our next steps are to see how much the land is worth (as that'll be our deposit) and find out how much we can borrow to see if its even possible to build a 3 bed house there.

Its a daunting but v exciting time and am trying not to get my hopes too high but it's hard!

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 19-Feb-14 09:37:52

There's an incredibly long thread on Houzz about things to put into your new build - if you scan through it and copy and paste anything that floats your boat as you go through it ( it will take a good hour at least, so have a cuppa with you and a bickie !) but it's really full of useful stuff !!! Here the link !
www.houzz.com/discussions/84124/Building-a-custom-home-----Any--must--haves-cool---
And as a pro, I would say design everything, to the last plug socket BEFORE you start to build !!! As it will make everything run more efficiently - and therefore keep costs to budget ! Have fun !! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now