Talk

Advanced search

Can I paint a bedside table with emulsion paint?

(13 Posts)
ScentedScandal Sun 16-Feb-14 13:03:02

I know that oil based would probably be preferable, but we have a lot of emulsion of the right colour. I was wondering if I could seal it or wax it afterwards with something which would make it more hardwearing. The table (or 3 drawer cabinet) is only an old cheapy mfi veneer thing. I'm trying to - dare I say it..? - 'upcycle'(cringey word du jour)grin

youmakemydreams Sun 16-Feb-14 13:17:11

You could try but you may find the emulsion doesn't cover very well. You might get away with it if you doing it quite thickly then go over with a varnish or something. Or buy an undercoat to put the emulsion on.

ScentedScandal Sun 16-Feb-14 13:22:43

Ah yes re a primer, I did some chairs and used Zinsser which was brilliant stuff. It's the sealing of the emulsion that I'm confused about. When I did my chairs I used paint for wood which has lasted quite well. I've never used Annie Sloane paints but I understand they're water based and sealed?

youmakemydreams Sun 16-Feb-14 15:11:08

Hmm depends on how much use it's going to get whether I'd actually bother sealing it afterwards tbh. If it's just a bedside table I may be inclined not to bother. Unless you are going to be putting hot drinks straight on it or wiping it down a lot it should be ok.
A clear yacht varnish would seal it nicely though.
I painted a chest of drawers I got in a charity shop in dd's room and sealed with yacht varnish because she's a mucky pup. Came up nice and takes some serious cleaning of crap she spills on it.

ScentedScandal Sun 16-Feb-14 21:06:11

Many thanks...hmm I'll check that outsmile. I was thinking of getting a piece of glass for the top. Other than that it shouldn't be too badly used as dd is old enough to be reasonably careful.

starfishmummy Sun 16-Feb-14 21:12:30

You could put some varnish over the top of the paint if you wanted. Or if it gets too shabby just repaint it -maybe dd can help?

youmakemydreams Sun 16-Feb-14 21:14:43

Yes was also thinking a piece of glass would be all you needed to protect the top if it wasn't going to be abused too much.

TheresNoMeWithoutYou Sun 16-Feb-14 21:22:25

Yes you can. If you have loads of paint and patience do 2 coats. May I suggest possibly a bit of decoupage on the top? Cheap, personalised and fun. Also hardwearing. The emulsion doesn't need sealed, bedside cabinets are not going to get lots of knocks. My first foray into 'upcycling' was 20 years ago. I used emulsion on kitchen chairs. I still have one on the go. It's fine.

mimiasovitch Sun 16-Feb-14 21:27:00

There's a blog, I think if you google miss p painting furniture you'll find it, where she did a detailed description on how to paint furniture with emulsion. If I recall it takes loads of prep work, but looked really good. Hang on, I'll look now.... here.

Flossiechops Sun 16-Feb-14 21:49:38

I primed and painted all of my kitchen cupboards in F&B emulsion. After a few coats I went over it in Polyvine decorators flat Matt varnish. Did them over 2 yrs ago and they are still perfect. No chips and perfectly wipeable.

ScentedScandal Sun 16-Feb-14 22:05:14

Many thanks for such brilliant helpful replies. Also for the link Mimi which I'll read properly before embarking on any paintingsmile

PolterGoose Mon 17-Feb-14 18:29:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Mon 17-Feb-14 18:40:16

I just painted a mirror surround in emulsion, took 2 coats of primer and 4 coats of emulsion but it looks good.
Wondering the same about a wood effect chest of drawers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now