Talk

Advanced search

DIY kitchen fitting advice!

(7 Posts)
superlambanana Sat 15-Feb-14 17:31:04

We're currently having a two storey extension and budget is tight so we'd like to fit our own kitchen. We're both pretty handy and good at DIY, though haven't done massive amounts. We'd get the pros in for electric and gas fittings obviously!

What should we consider and how long to allow for it? Kitchen.is 5x4m but half of that will be dining space. I want a U shaped kitchen with breakfast bar and eye level oven. Any advice appreciated!

Sandiacre Sat 15-Feb-14 17:57:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 15-Feb-14 18:08:43

I used ikea tall kitchen units as wardrobes ( old cottage - low ceilings !) and I installed them all myself ! Also had a couple of drawer packs as dressing table ! I fitted that too ! Great fun once you get your head around it - the first cabinet is a bit daugnting - but after your cracked it it's a piece of cake !!! Have fun !!!

superlambanana Sun 16-Feb-14 18:24:03

Thanks smile Any advice about what order to do things in? I'm assuming flooring first - after plumbing? Can we do cabinets and then ask them to do the sink / oven / hob or do we do it in conjunction, or afterwards?

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 16-Feb-14 20:20:08

Disconnect electrics in that room at fuse box ! Shut off water at stopcock . Rip out the old cabinets/ worktops - cap off water etc - make safe electrics - plaster if needed - add new ceiling / lights and electrics as per plan - alter plumbing as per plan - amend flooring if changing - assemble and install wall units - then base units - sinks/plumbing/gas and worktops - appliances - electrics and additional lighting - tiling - grouting. Get electrics signed off - get gas signed off - Refill cabinets with food - postit notes on the front of cabinets so you remember where everything is ! Make dinner and enjoy your new kitchen ! ( it's not really that easy - but it will be worth it ! )
There may be more efficient ways - but that's the way I remember from my days on site helping fitters !!

superlambanana Mon 17-Feb-14 08:20:30

Thanks OnePlan, that's really helpful! Luckily we won't have any old ones to rip out, and services should be exactly where we want them as it'll all be in the new extension (just can't stretch to paying for fitting!). Should we get someone else to cut the worktops for the sink..? Bit worried about that bit!

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 17-Feb-14 08:24:48

Good idea too ! Especially if you have corner joints - having a route red and bolted corner will be much more professional !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now