Advanced search

Wwyd? Landlord not protecting house from flooding

(7 Posts)
Erac Sat 15-Feb-14 10:39:05

We've been notified by the council that we are in a high risk area for the next phase of flooding. We had some minor flooding come up and then recede from the drains yesterday. I have notified the landlord, who has no interest in making any efforts to protect the home and reminded me that his flood insurance doesn't cover our contents.

Our contents are insured, but it doesn't cover the pita it would be to deal with all of that should a flood occur.

Would you take measures to protect the house in order to protect the contents? We could buy some sandbags and cover any air leaks, etc. but wouldn't get too expensive such as buying a pump.

specialsubject Sat 15-Feb-14 12:39:32

how bizarre! If it floods and you can't stay, he will lose rent as well as having to sort repairs, and it will be a nightmare to insure the building if it floods.

have you made these points to him?

Frozenatchristmas Sat 15-Feb-14 13:11:00

Protect your own items. Get as much as you can upstairs if you have an upstairs. Re confirm to the LL that you have had a council warning. If you are flooded then you did notify him and you have done eveything you can for your own possessions.

Good luck. I hope you are not hit.

Erac Sat 15-Feb-14 15:16:15

Thanks for the replies. I find it bizarre too. I won't make those points to him as 1) we just paid rent up throughout next month so I doubt he'd be returning it should we leave, and 2) I am annoyed that he has no plan to do anything to protect his own property, not to mention keep it habitable for the tenants.

We sadly don't have an upstairs, but we will at least get everything off the floor.

I feel better having notified him, but equally annoyed. It would pain me a little to help him out by doing some basic protection measures. But not doing anything could mean weeks of hassle and homelessness for us.

LIZS Sat 15-Feb-14 15:19:53

I would have thought the insurance company would expect ll to attempt to limit the loss, given that there has been some warning . Can you give his details to the council to notify direct ?

AgaPanthers Sat 15-Feb-14 15:23:32

Sandbags are not effective.

What do you expect him to do?

Your house isn't flooded, and your possessions are your responsibility.

If it floods, then he will have issues. But it hasn't.

specialsubject Sat 15-Feb-14 16:14:51

you always pay rent in advance (same as you pay for baked beans before eating them) but if you then can't live in the place, your tenancy agreement should state you get a refund.

really, really hope it doesn't happen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now