Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Letting agency/landlord not interested in repairs

(13 Posts)
mirtzapine Sat 15-Feb-14 09:53:37

So there are a number of repairs around the house that need doing.

We can live with most of them eg blown transformers on halogen lights, bath needing resealing. After five years of renting we asked for a redecoration, the response we got was only renewing our tenancy for six month then we have to be out.

We had an issue with the soil downpipe leaking which both were informed of which I had to end up having to pay to be repaired by a third party as no maintenance was forthcoming.

Each time I ring the letting agency I get a yeh yeh yeh from then and nothing happens.

So a fence panel has blown down, I'm ringing the letting agency on Monday, If its not repaired within a reasonable time, then

Can I then pay for it to be repaired myself and withhold that portion from the rent?

We only have five months left on the tenancy

I will give them warning in advance.

Methe Sat 15-Feb-14 09:56:14

You probably could have involved environmental Heath about the broken soil stack.

No idea about the rent issue but good luck smile

specialsubject Sat 15-Feb-14 09:57:18

no, you can't. What you do is demand the contact details of your landlord (you are entitled to them) and go straight to him/her.

you can also try escalating the problem in the agency, although as it is an unregulated industry it is probably a waste of time)

but I am staggered you have stayed five years in this dump. Why on earth do people give money to dodgy landlords?

LIZS Sat 15-Feb-14 10:46:06

You have to be very careful about withholding rent or you could find yourself evicted sooner - there is a legal procedure outlined on the Shelter website. tbh replacing halogens might well be considered a tenant's job anyway, they don't have to replace a fence panel or redecorate whereas for a soil pipe you could have rung EH.

LIZS Sat 15-Feb-14 12:27:39

england.shelter.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/23392/ShelterGuide_GettingRepairsDone.pdf see p.21

mirtzapine Sat 15-Feb-14 12:31:28

its wasnt the halogens themselves it was the transformers for the halogens that burn out.

didn't realise about EH...

thanks for that...

well i've been able to partially repair the fence, so it can stay like that...

I reckon the bugger will keep the deposit for redecoration when he relets..

Ah well its been a very comfortable house so far so no tears

thanks for the advice

LIZS Sat 15-Feb-14 12:33:00

I reckon the bugger will keep the deposit for redecoration when he relets he should n't . After 5 years it would be wear and tear .

specialsubject Sat 15-Feb-14 12:38:19

your deposit should be protected (legal requirement) so it is up to the landlord to prove any damage beyond wear and tear. Check the paperwork so you can raise a dispute if needed.

RandallFloyd Sat 15-Feb-14 12:46:26

I feel your pain completely.

It's fairly well known on here that my LL is utterly shite.
She's a lovely lady to talk to and emergency things get done but ongoing things are never finished or done properly.

The problem is that they have you over a barrel, as you've sadly found out, because if you complain too much they just kick you out.

Renting can be a tough business, if you find a house that you like and that's within your price range then there's certain things you just have to put up with.

It's shit, and it's not right, but there is absolutely no security for tenants in this country so you take the rough with the smooth.

Hope you find somewhere nice to move to.

Frozenatchristmas Sat 15-Feb-14 13:07:25

The only thing is with a fence panel is that there are thousands of other people needing trades people out so please may be bear this in mind given the weather we have recently had. I would still report the fence though and explain what you have done and take photos of it as proof.

specialsubject Sat 15-Feb-14 16:16:32

if you find a house that you like and that's within your price range then there's certain things you just have to put up with.

no, that's not how it works for my tenant, or for anyone renting from a decent landlord. If things break and I am advised, I will fix them.

only things that are as they were when the place was viewed, stay the same. e.g if you rent somewhere without double glazing, don't expect it to be installed and don't complain that it is cold.

specialsubject Sat 15-Feb-14 16:17:54

but there is absolutely no security for tenants in this country so you take the rough with the smooth.

don't talk bollocks. Tenants cannot be evicted without due process and this applies even for those that don't pay or destroy the place. Those that want to stay a long time can negotiate a long lease.

HaveToWearHeels Sat 15-Feb-14 19:21:55

Unfortunately there are a lot of shoddy, unprofessional, reluctant landlords. Some have become LL's due to circumstances. A lot of these LL's think they can make a fast buck. They don't factor in maintenance when they do their sums. Or they are in it for the short term, so give tenants notice because they want to move back in.
As specialsubject says a good LL will fix things they are told about, they will want to maintain there investment as well as their relationship with their tenant. They will offer a long term let, as the property is a long term investment (not the family home rented out for 6 months).
DH and I would love a tenant to ask for a 5 year let. Sadly around here is very transient. Up north we have one family been in a property for 9 years, brilliant tenants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now