Talk

Advanced search

From a Victorian cottage to a 1970s house. Good idea?

(12 Posts)
mumtheforgetfulone Fri 14-Feb-14 15:01:18

We are selling our Victorian cottage as it's just too small for us now. It is stunning to look at and I know we will never find anything else as quaint or pretty again - but it has not be great for family living with small, dark rooms. It is also listed so there is no scope to extend it further or alter its layout.

We are going to view a 1970s house which is so spacious and light and has a great open plan layout - it's such a big contrast from what we have been used to....It just doesn't look as attractive.

Just wondered if anyone has made a similar move. Any regrets or was it a good choice?

snailsontour Fri 14-Feb-14 17:12:34

We did just this last July.
Like you I was concerned about moving from an old house full of character to, in our case, a 70’s bungalow.
I have to say I love the difference, lovely spacious rooms and so much light. We are in the process of a major renovation just now though, but much of what we are doing is building upon the light clean lines of the 70’s.
And also it's so much warmer here and less dusty somehow. Yep, no regrets whatsoever.

holmessweetholmes Fri 14-Feb-14 17:21:49

We did this 6 years ago, only from a 16thC thatched cottage to a 1970's house, but for similar reasons. Tbh although it was a good move practically and financially,I have just never really liked this one that much. We are re-locating in September and I am very tempted to go for an old property this time. I won't miss my 70's house in the slightest. Sorry - probably not what you wanted to hear! Mind you, your 70's house might be nicer than ours!

tethersend Fri 14-Feb-14 17:24:55

I would LOVE to swap my Victorian flat for a 70s house. Do it.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Fri 14-Feb-14 17:37:31

um we have done same.tbh if I move again I would go Victorian/Edwardian.yes to lovely big rooms but yes also to loads and loads of problems that we never encountered in our old houses. plumbing issues,leaks,doors sticking,whole house shakes just crappy build basically.non estate btw.

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 14-Feb-14 17:45:41

I grew up in Edwardian terrace, always thought we'd end up buying a Victorian/Edwardian house.

But when it came down to it, we ended up in early 70s house and although it's not so aesthetically pleasing from the outside (pebble-dashed) there's lots of things I like about it. We have mahoosive (but double glazed) windows so it's really light, big hallway, it's well insulated and cheap to heat. And we have a reasonably sized garden for a city house.

littlecrystal Fri 14-Feb-14 18:47:41

Bumping for you, as in the process of selling my Victorian house and buying a 1970s detached maisonette. Still not sure if this is the right decision even though I am fed up with problems in my current house. Watching with interest.

ShoeWhore Fri 14-Feb-14 18:49:01

Have a similar dilemma and I feel sad about it. I love my old house! But trying to put my practical head on.

Nancy66 Fri 14-Feb-14 19:07:37

nah I wouldn't do it. I know they can be a nightmare but period properties have such character and - unlike modern ones - they hold their value much more.

70s might be ok but a lost of new builds are done on the cheap and end up more problematic than an old property.

Clawdy Sat 15-Feb-14 11:01:45

We are doing a similar move, we are downsizing from a big Edwardian house to a 70s small detached. Can't wait to live in a bright,light warm house.

mumtheforgetfulone Sat 15-Feb-14 20:40:12

Thanks everyone for the advice. We went to view the 1970s house today and it wasn't for us - mainly because of the location and not the house itself.

Just as I was getting nostalgic again about our house we came home to water coming through the ceiling - and I remembered how high maintenance this place has been.

I think my ideal house would be Edwardian - lots of light and a bit of character...better keep looking wink

Procrastinating Sat 15-Feb-14 20:47:41

I did this 3 years ago.
My furniture, pictures etc look tiny and wrong in the 1970s house. The 1970s house has huge open spaces and I'm still working out what to put in them.

Washing dries overnight in the 1970s house and it is always warm, we use very little heating. I chose an unmodernised house so it is very 70s, it has character. The children love it because there is so much space. I wouldn't go back unless it was a Victorian vicargage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now