Talk

Advanced search

Berber carpet with cats

(8 Posts)
SadPander Fri 14-Feb-14 14:51:44

Has anyone got a berber carpet and cats? Is it a disaster? Carpet right man just came to measure my rooms and strongly advised against it (we are carpeting lounge, stairs, landing and bedrooms - family room and kitchen where the cats spend most of their time will be wood). I've seen a chunky berber I really like and can't seem to find any nice looking twist carpets. Even the really expensive one's seem to look cheap!

MummytoMog Fri 14-Feb-14 15:41:18

In my experience almost any carpet and cats is a disaster. Our twist fared better than the berber though, which looked wrecked very quickly. Twist just got a bit scruffy on the stairs.

hiccupgirl Fri 14-Feb-14 19:03:14

The man at the carpet shop laughed when I suggested a Berber for our lounge/diner as he could see we had a small child and then I mentioned the 3 cats.

We now have a fully indestructible fully artificial bleachable carpet instead and it is great. Though the cat has already stratched a corner when DH shut her in by mistake.

snowgirl1 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:08:28

We had a looped carpet in our last house. When the cats clawed it, it developed 'runs'. In our current house, we purposefully chose twist because of that. Are berber carpets random loops, ie. not loops in neat rows? If they are them might not run like ours did, but will probably still 'pull' IYKWIM

jasmine31 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:14:08

Yes we have a berber carpet (stairs, landing, 2 bedrooms) and 2 cats. Haven't had a problem - but maybe they're not particularly scratchy cats. I think possibly they scratched more when they didn't have access to outside. But now they go out they don't scratch much. They are middle aged too, so possibly kittens/young cats would scratch more...

newpup Sat 15-Feb-14 20:43:16

We have a new Berber carpet on our stairs, landings and study. The carpet fitter warned us not to let the cat on it, he said a cat could destroy it easily!! Luckily, our cat is ancient and has shown no interest in it at all although she is shut in another room when we go out and at night. I could see how it would easily catch on her claws.

SadPander Tue 18-Feb-14 12:57:55

Oh dear sad not sure why but I really can't seem to find any twists that I like! Thanks for the replies.

gotolder Tue 18-Feb-14 16:27:16

We had 100% wool berber carpet in our ground floor flat living room for 12 years WITH cats/kittens who had permanent ingress direct from garden through balcony window.
It looked as good when we moved as when we had it fitted. It was quite a small loop, cream/flecked and never seemed to look dirty(though I'm not fond of housework).
We shampooed it when we put the flat on the market and, in fact, it was filthy.blush
We have an 'ordinary' carpet in our new place which I cannot wait to replace with another berber carpet.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now