Talk

Advanced search

Greenwich

(17 Posts)
lessonsintightropes Fri 14-Feb-14 01:32:24

Apologies for having posted a lot the last week or so... househunting in London is an abysmal experience.

We are having a look at a few places again this weekend including one in a lovely 60s terrace just off Blackheath Hill in Greenwich (about 10 minutes' walk from Greenwich station). I have been to the area before but hadn't realised it was within budget. Does anyone have experience of living locally? Are the schools good? Does it feel safe? I can't quite work out why the property is priced as it is (much cheaper - like £100k cheaper - than the equivalent in SE19) and would like to hear opinions from those who know! Thanks.

Monty27 Fri 14-Feb-14 01:35:10

The property market is mad, people are sitting on their equity because it's rising weekly. Don't know what part of Greenwich you mean and I don't know what your budget is. But, I do know nice parts and bad parts of Greenwich.... calling it Greenwich may be a marketing ploy. Be careful.

Monty27 Fri 14-Feb-14 01:36:56

Oh and that bubble will implode, you may lose if you invest highly. I know that central Greenwich is probably unattainable compared to 20 years ago.

lessonsintightropes Fri 14-Feb-14 02:00:19

It's literally just off Blackheath Hill - near Point Hill Park - do you know that area?

Amethyst24 Fri 14-Feb-14 08:33:24

We live in East Greenwich, other side of the park. No idea about schools but the area is lovely and very safe, we've been here a couple of years and love it. If the house is one of the ones I'm thinking of the issue you might have is that they are very, very small.

oscarwilde Fri 14-Feb-14 08:54:08

Blackheath Hill is v v busy road. Houses on the hill are much cheaper usually, can't comment on the impact of just off but noise may be a factor. If its a 60's house, then they are just a less popular architecture and the house is possibly ex council and certainly in a mixed local authority private ownership area.
10 mins from the station and the park/Heath, I'd def go and see it and make your own mind up.
There are two good state primaries in west Greenwich, but secondary is tricky. Private schools are in Blackheath village.

Slippysnow Fri 14-Feb-14 13:29:06

I know there area where you mean and surprised its cheap not sure of the sizes of houses. State primary schools depend on catchments, you may get into all saints primary which is outstanding but actually on the Heath. Secondary state you are close to an all girls school at Ursula's (church again) and John roan mixed - this is currently being rebuilt and has a new head who has a positive reputation. It's like every other state secondary school. I don't know whether that helps in any way. No good with property info

Wingdingdong Fri 14-Feb-14 14:04:26

Hm, at a guess it's because it's v close to the A2 (gridlock, noise) and because it's in a 'black hole' for decent state primaries. You'd have no chance of All Saints, I'd say (though attending church might be a start!) - you'd almost certainly get Morden Mount. I know a lot of people from W Greenwich who've either moved or gone private to avoid Morden Mount. The school's on a large council estate where there have been a few problems, historically (don't recall hearing anything recently), but I think it's been a combination of a disadvantaged intake and crap teaching/leadership. It's Inadequate but a year or so ago got a new executive head teacher, has replaced a lot of staff, and is definitely improving. I guess it would depend on how old your DC are, if you have any.

You wouldn't be too far from James Wolfe, which has just expanded to four-form entry, so you may have a chance there.

Worth taking a look, as it has excellent transport links and you're close
To the Heath and park, just think carefully about the school situation.

(Also - I am rather surprised a house has been on the market since September. Mostly they're going within a couple of weeks, if that - four near us didn't even get the For Sale boards up, went straight to Sold. I'd be wondering why!)

lessonsintightropes Sat 15-Feb-14 20:10:00

We went to see it today and had the offer accepted, we're delighted!

Re schools, we're regular churchgoers and 15 mins walk from St Alfeges, so weren't as worried about Morden Mount as we'd qualify for a place at St Alfeges I think on church attendance grounds. But yes MM looks awful from the last Ofsted... we're TTC at the moment so not likely to be a worry for a few years yet.

Wing it hasn't been on the market since September, not sure where that came from? It had sold before Christmas but the previous buyers couldn't afford it... Monty, it's between Greenwich and Blackheath, but definitely Greenwich rather than BH! I think the reason it is cheaper is because it is small - 90sq m - and an unimproved 1960s property. However this is perfect for us as I plan to fill it with mid-century modern furniture and revel in the original kitchen! grin

lulupeg Sun 16-Feb-14 12:52:40

Love a good detective hunt (don't know the area personally!) and think I've found it. Looks wonderful and will make a fabulous family home, congrats! Nice to hear a positive story in this very difficult property market. Good luck with progressing the sale as quickly as you can!

lessonsintightropes Sun 16-Feb-14 18:17:38

Thanks lulu!

oscarwilde Mon 17-Feb-14 15:11:10

As an aside, daycare/nursery places in the area are like gold dust. Get yourself to open mornings and apply as soon as you get pregnant. You need to be applying by about 4 mnths preg.
Welcome to Greenwich - hope the purchase process all goes well.

Wingdingdong Mon 17-Feb-14 15:20:55

Ah, there was only one house fitting the description on Zoopla and that said that it was first listed in Sept - but if it had had an offer accepted but not actually completed, that might be why.

Well, if you're regular churchgoers before even getting pregnant, you shouldn't have a problem with St Alfege's and that's a good school (tiny catchment if you don't attend, hence not mentioning it previously). I think they're a bit wary of parents turning up with 3-year-olds now! Congratulations, anyway, hope all goes well.

Wingdingdong Mon 17-Feb-14 15:23:29

And YY to Oscar's advice on applying for nursery places in early pregnancy!

lessonsintightropes Mon 17-Feb-14 15:54:54

That is excellent advice - thanks both! I will be attending every other week from when we move, I know from a Vicar friend of mine how grumpy and cynical it makes him with parents turning up 12 months before the applications go in...! Hopefully nursery will be something to worry about in the near future grin

Amethyst24 Mon 17-Feb-14 23:06:22

I'm not a churchgoer but St A's is so lovely. They have lots of mid-week choral things and their midnight mass at Christmas is stunning. The Greenwich Phantom blog is great for local recs.

lessonsintightropes Mon 17-Feb-14 23:13:18

Brilliant - I love a traditional service and thought that St. A's would be a good place to go, but we haven't had chance to visit on a Sunday before buying so it's great to hear.

I came across the Greenwich Phantom blog on my webtrawl about the area too, looks like a great resource.

We went up to Blackheath village yesterday too which will be about 15 mins from the new house, and it looks lovely too.

I am soooo hoping this purchase works out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now