Talk

Advanced search

Can I get something from the land registry that will show which fence/s are our repsonsibility?

(10 Posts)
BoBoo Thu 13-Feb-14 18:16:05

Lost a fence in the storms and thought it was our responsibility. Got in touch with neighbour to say we were aware and would be sorting it out, to be told that she had put the fence in and was happy to go halves. While this is nice and neighbourly and all well and good, the (much longer) fence at the back on the other side also needs replacing. I was under the impression that this was down to the neighbour on the other side, but if the side I thought was ours is not, then surely the other must be. I am happy to cover all of the cost of replacing the fence, but don't want to go halves and then find out I'm responsible for the other side.

Sorry for possibly unecessary lengthy explanation! The only drawing of the house in all our documents includes a few different streets and marks out the extent of the plot but no indication of which boundaries are which.

middleagedspread Thu 13-Feb-14 18:35:41

I think it's on the deeds, well ours is.

FairyPenguin Thu 13-Feb-14 18:41:34

Ours is written on our deeds.

BoBoo Thu 13-Feb-14 18:47:05

Apparently the land registry no longer issues formal deeds. We have a register of title but this doesn't show anything

specialsubject Thu 13-Feb-14 19:50:35

I'm afraid this information is not held by default, unless someone has actually explicitly told the land registry. The boundary info on deeds is not always that detailed.

the responsibility for fences, if known, will be on the property information form filled in by your sellers - if you still have it. And if they knew.

BoBoo Thu 13-Feb-14 19:53:15

I do still have it, but it's marked as not known. Not sure what to do now as seems to be a difference of opinion on where the responsibilit lies.

enriquetheringbearinglizard Thu 13-Feb-14 23:27:07

Difficult to say as years ago the responsible boundary used to be signified by a T mark. The deeds even held electronically should still have a boundary plan but if the fences or walls aren't designated it'd be useful to come up with 50:50 responsbility each side, what do your other neighbours think?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Thu 13-Feb-14 23:30:39

It's usually the fence on your left with your back to the property.

Yuppers Fri 14-Feb-14 16:52:55

You can get a copy of the deed from Land registry. I do it all the time at work..

bzoo Fri 14-Feb-14 16:59:27

If I stand looking from house to back garden I have the fence on my right and the end one facing me. These were marked in the plans I got when buying the house with a T

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now