Talk

Advanced search

How much detail would you expect in bathroom quote?

(5 Posts)
oif Thu 13-Feb-14 16:26:43

We have a quote for our bathroom work, which is broken down into sanitary ware and various stages of work (strip out, plumbing, joinery etc.), but it doesn't give any day rates of any of the workers, and doesn't split out other material costs apart from sanitary ware and flooring, e.g. light fittings, plasterboard, plywood for floor, electrical fittings materials. Am I right in expecting that level of breakdown?

homeaway Thu 13-Feb-14 19:40:46

I would expect a detailed break down . I would want to know if everything is included and how many days work they thought it would take. Here you would get a price for the job as a whole with the cost of tiling etc included.

brumeye Thu 13-Feb-14 20:59:08

What they've given sounds like the level of detail I'd expect - certainly when I've had quotes for various levels of work from bathrooms to extensions, I've never expected to be told the day rate of every tradesman!

If they're giving you a quote for the work as a whole, why do you need to know how much they're paying for every material and each trade? If you don't like their quote, get another to compare it with.

TheGreatHunt Thu 13-Feb-14 21:01:39

No for day rates, but yes for materials. With ours I asked for receipts at the end as it was an estimate - you never know the exact amount needed;

oif Fri 14-Feb-14 08:51:50

Interesting.

We got day rates for all trades when doing our extension, which is why I expected that - I think it was put in so that we knew if we asked for any extra work how much it would be, but it was helpful to know they looked reasonable and also to see how long work was expected to take.

We are having other work done as well as the bathroom so got quotes from several builder/project manager types who could do all the sub-contracting initially, and have decided to go with this builder, but when we asked for a breakdown of the bathroom figure they had included in initial quote it was much higher on work and much lower on materials than I had expected (75% work 25% materials), which is why I wanted more detail, but perhaps you are all right that we accepted their quote/estimate in the first place and not too much point querying everything now.

I'd like to ask for receipts for all materials so good to know you did that TGH

Thanks for responses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now