Talk

Advanced search

Kids bedroom sizes - which one would you choose

(9 Posts)
pebbles77 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:49:32

We are about to move and I've got 3 bedrooms to choose from for our 2 kids (6 and 4). 2 attic rooms on top floor that have sloping ceilings and are fairly small and then one very large room on the same floor as us.

Would you:

a) - have the 2 attic rooms for the kids and then the large bedroom as their playroom

b) - have eldest in top bedroom with the other attic room as a playroom/den and then youngest in the large bedroom (she's a girl and i'm thinking moving forward it might be quite nice for her to have her own larger space???)

Thank you so much in advance

SteeleyeStan Thu 13-Feb-14 14:01:13

I'd think option a) sounds fairer - I'm sure boys appreciate their own space as much as girls. smile Unless there's some safety issue about DD having her bedroom upstairs.

MrsShrek3 Thu 13-Feb-14 14:11:24

imho [a] to start with then review when theyre a bit older. my dses have huge toys like trucks and railways til about 10yo, ds2 has just recently moved his into the playhouse in favour of a more gadgety arrangement with high sleeper. dd has loads of fiddly bits and papers and pens everywhere. Mine also shared a playriim space til very recently - so around another 4-5yrs off for you. does that help?

pebbles77 Thu 13-Feb-14 17:34:59

Thank you, yes helpful smile

I think I was thinking that the 2nd attic room could be son's area for his toys as his bedroom won't be big enough and then daughters bedroom would be big enough for bed and toys. allows them their own space to play when friends are around but equally still be downstairs with me playing when by ourselves.

if they're both in attic rooms they would share the play area upstairs which i'm worried will lead to arguments when play dates occur??

BUT i think they'll love being on the same level as each other

I keep talking myself into one scenario and then change my mind!!!

I know I'm in a wonderfully lucky position to even have this quandary so thank you for replying x

Forago Thu 13-Feb-14 18:03:39

Think I would give them their own floor and playroom on the middle floor. More practical for you of you downstairs during the day and they are playing in the playroom (unless you also have a playroom downstairs in which case the middle one won't get used ime)

mysteryfairy Thu 13-Feb-14 20:55:33

I would put them both upstairs. I probably wouldn't bother with the playroom as my children would never have played upstairs anyway but I would either use the middle floor room as a spare room or a playroom with a sofa bed so it can be used for visitors without evicting a child. Also if DC3 is ever a possibility you would be able to have the baby nearby without disrupting the other two.

MrsShrek3 Fri 14-Feb-14 00:07:04

IME bedroom, clothes and toys = lots of mess. if it's just a place to sleep and be calm then less of a temptation to play whenbyou should be asleep....and you can shut the door on the playroom because it's supposed to have toys everywhere wink

breatheslowly Fri 14-Feb-14 00:16:15

Is having a 4 yo on a different floor to you ok? I am just thinking about her feeling ill in the night and having to get down stairs to you. I'd consider having them share the larger room for the time being. I shared with my DB at that age out of choice, even though I had my own room.

yomellamoHelly Fri 14-Feb-14 13:37:28

I wanted my eldest and youngest to have same size bedrooms as far as possible to avoid arguments in future. (Ds2 has large bedroom downstairs - front reception - with all the toys in it.) Other two only have books - or they would never sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now