Talk

Advanced search

Tell me what you did with the space under the stairs.

(20 Posts)
ArrivedAtPanicStation Thu 13-Feb-14 11:45:35

I like this Waiting for a quote.

We got a quote from somewhere else for slightly different ones and it was £700.

I need inspiration!

Really don't want to just get a cupboard made and put up there

betterwhenthesunshines Thu 13-Feb-14 11:57:34

Tall part is one cupboard with a row of hooks on one side and 2 rows of hooks on the other - tall for shopping bags etc, lower row for small coats. Then there is a dividing 'wall' so the lower cupboard has dpouble doors. I got 3 shoe racks from B&Q for about a tenner each, screwed them together and put castors on the bottom. The whole thing can just pull out when it needs to and behind it we keep hoover, crickets bats, tennis rackets etc and the rack has everyday shoes and a basket for gloves/hats.

rollingpastryagain Thu 13-Feb-14 12:19:28

That looks great waiting We're going to have something like this but aren't at your stage yet. Would you mind letting me know when you get your quote so I can work out if it's within our budget or not?

januarysnowdrop Thu 13-Feb-14 12:24:18

We have something fairly similar to your picture: the tallest part is a wardrobe for coats (and fold up buggy) with cupboard space on top, then two further cupboards both with shelves, one with 4 pull out drawers and a big filing cabinet drawer, and the little space in the corner is a pull out drawer for our shoes. We had it made to fit the space & it's brilliant.

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Thu 13-Feb-14 12:25:22

our stairs are between 2 walls so we can't have the pull-out things - we just have an under-stairs cupboard accessed from the front which is v awkward

so I really like this idea to utilise the tiny pointy bit at the end which is completely useless otherwise.

Mandy21 Thu 13-Feb-14 12:40:05

Ours is a downstairs loo. Toilet in the part with the most head height, small sink on wall before it starts to slope. Slopey part not really used.

Aethelfleda Thu 13-Feb-14 13:08:42

Ours is too small for that lot: We painted ours brightly, carpetted, put a light in, and the children have it as a "secret" play den. Thoroughly impractical but they love it !

Indith Thu 13-Feb-14 13:17:52

Ours has a door on the tallest side and we have a light in it. In front of you as you go in are 2 sets of drawers. One has instruction booklets for all the electrical products, spare light bulbs, power cables, usb cables and all that gubbins. The other has all the dc's craft stuff. To the right up the tallest wall are shelves. On the floor under the shelves are 2 boxes with tools, drill, all that useful stuff. The shelves are used for food storage which enables us to bulk buy and to not have overcrowded kitchen cupboards. To the left going down to the bottom of the stairs we have the ironing board and clothes horse against the wall, the hoover and mop etc in front of them. Then right at the bottom end is stuff we don't need to use all that often like folding chairs, the carpet washer, bits and bobs of camping stuff. When kept tidy you can get down to the end easily enough. We also have some nails bashed into the under side of the stairs so that stuff like dh's gym kit bag can be hung out of the way.

I saw a great blog thingy about the space under the stairs recently with all kinds of fab ideas from pull out storage, shoe drawers, book cases and stuff to dens.

Indith Thu 13-Feb-14 13:19:52

love some of these!

Fish tank is fab. Great fronts for kid's play houses too! Makes me wish we could get rid of the wall of ours and open it up. Not sure where the hoover and stuff would live if we did though!

Shosha1 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:25:20

We fitted it out as a crate for our two dogs.

DH built it himself. It has a cage front with a opened cage door.

It has a memory foam mattress with washable covers

It door is usually open but it is good to be able to shut the dogs away if stray toddlers or nervous persons come.

Shosha1 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:35:25

We have a built in crate for our two dogs.

It has a crate front with a gate in it

Memory foam mattress with washable covers.

The door is usually open but it is good if we have stray toddlers visiting or nervous persons.

It is big enough for the dogs to be on for a couple of hours without them being cramped

Shosha1 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:35:59

Ok I typed the first one and it seemed to disappear so did a second smile

MrsOakenshield Thu 13-Feb-14 13:37:47

it was a cupboard when we moved in and it still is. We did think about changing it to be a loo, but it's the only cupboard in the whole house, so nowhere else to put the hoover, ironing board, step ladder, coal and logs etc etc. The loo would also be tiny; one of DH's oldest friends is a wheelchair user and it would be too tiny for him to use. So we haven't bothered. Now DD is older it would be useful but still nowhere to put everything that's in there!

SteeleyeStan Thu 13-Feb-14 13:39:20

Love the pictures in Indith's link! Our future house (touch wood!) only has a "boring" storage space under the stairs at the moment. I like the idea of opening up the wall on one side of the stairs and making something more of the space underneath. It would add some space and airiness into the kitchen. To start with it'll probably just host ironing boards, laundry stands, the vacuum cleaner and other exciting stuff. hmm

lljkk Thu 13-Feb-14 14:36:54

Shoes coats catfood & kitty litter.

EverybodysStressyEyed Thu 13-Feb-14 14:51:15

Ours are in a room so we just opened it out and wallpapered it so it is a play space for the kids

Preciousbane Thu 13-Feb-14 22:54:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dramajustfollowsme Thu 13-Feb-14 23:06:52

We made ours into an office space with the narrow part at the end pulling out from the side as a filing cabinet.
Tallest end book shelf and desk with storage built to fit in between. It fits really well. Only problem is we only put in a double socket but that is changing in the next few weeks.

allotmentgirl82 Thu 13-Feb-14 23:32:59

We have steps leading to our cellar.
At my Dad's house he has wood panelling and a secret door which opens up to the shoe/cleaning cupboard!
Further towards the back of the stairs he has a pantry where he keeps all of his tins of food

ginzillas Thu 13-Feb-14 23:50:10

We had two cupboards made. One for Dd's toys and the other for coats and shoes with a shelf above. Plus a fab bookcase on the end. I'm totally in love with the extra storage and it looks sooo stylish. All painted white to match the stairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now