Talk

Advanced search

Help us decide on bedroom allocation

(11 Posts)
ForeverForever Thu 13-Feb-14 11:23:20

We have a standard 60's 3 bed semi with one large bedroom, one reasonable double, and one single room. Two dc 1 and 3, we need somewhere (other than downstairs living space!) for them to play as well as sleep.

Option 1: dc share the large bedroom, we have the double (our kingsize, wardrobe, built in cupboard plus large chest of drawers and 2 bedside tables would fit, but nothing else - no chairs for clothes!) and we have use of the small room for small desk, clothes overflow (outdoor stuff) etc.

Option 2: dc share the double and use the box/single as a playroom. We keep the large room.

The third option of using the single as a bedroom won't really work, I can't see older dc agreeing to share their bedroom to play if it's not already a shared room.

We'll vacate our room for visitors and use sofa bed downstairs so makes no odds where our bedroom is.

Obviously along the line we'll have to think of them each having their own room, but that's a few years off I hope!

Any words of wisdom much appreciated!

PrimalLass Thu 13-Feb-14 11:28:38

Option 2. Or have bunks in the single and use the double as a playroom.

Pinkje Thu 13-Feb-14 11:32:37

At that age they're too young to play unsupervised so I'd advise the first option then at least there is space for you to join them. If one dc tends to wake the other up you could consider putting a cot (rather than desk) in the single for bed and nap times.

SweepTheHalls Thu 13-Feb-14 11:37:01

Option 2!

Mandy21 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:47:37

Both of your options are for the single room to be for the playroom? At that age, as pinkje says, they surely want to be with you so is it big enough for all 3 of you to be in there playing? I'd agree with the suggestion of bunkbeds but I think they're only suitable (use of the top bunk) for children aged 6 (and above).

cestlavielife Thu 13-Feb-14 14:02:27

give them the biggest room as shared bedroom/playroom.
box room as a playroom is unrealistic - what can you do in it? a tten with a computer desk yes, not for lego building or messy play...

also think about where they play and when and what you a re doing at that point in time - if you cook while they play you dont want to be running up and down stairs all the time so making space downstairs is more important....

Misty9 Thu 13-Feb-14 14:06:44

I'd second trying both in single room in something like the ikea kura bed (ours arrived today for ds, so excited!) which tons of people seem to use as bunkbeds and which isn't too high for a little one. Then double as playroom. Although we have a playroom downstairs, we'll be facing this issue in a year or so as dh works from home so only really two bedrooms can be used...

anklebitersmum Thu 13-Feb-14 14:15:52

Medium height bunk beds in the small room and create a playroom in the second bedroom. You could include a sofa bed in the second room so there's somewhere to sit and read to them and guests would have a room for them and theirs if required.

As they get older you could then progress to high sleepers in the second room which would allow floorspace to be maximised and allow for sleepovers and desk space whilst freeing up the smallest room.

daisychicken Thu 13-Feb-14 14:35:08

We have 2 DS's, they share the largest bedroom, we have the double room and the single is dh's office... it works well but we don't have room for guests to stay unless DH & I give up our bed. Before DH needed an office at home, we had the largest room and DS's used the double room as a play room complete with sofa bed and the single was their sleeping room with bunk beds plus a wardrobe. This worked really well as the age difference meant one could still play while the other went to bed and obv vice versa in the morning and we still had a room for guests when needed. If we could move the office, we would do this again as there is no other way we could give them equal bedroom space. So this would be what I would do in your situation smile

AndWhenYouGetThere Thu 13-Feb-14 15:10:22

Bunk beds in the single, double as playroom. Your room stays as yours.

CMOTDibbler Thu 13-Feb-14 15:12:27

I think bunks in single, double as playroom with a sofabed for sleepovers would be best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now