Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy a house with a Substation in the back garden?

(41 Posts)
Justgemm Wed 12-Feb-14 23:20:43

We've just sold our house and are on the hunt for our new home. There's a really lovely house we've seen, only problem is there is a small electrical substation in the garden. Just wondering whether this would put people off or not?

Elderberri Wed 12-Feb-14 23:26:18

No I would not. In fact did not. The same way I would not buy near pylons. Would you be able to live there in peace, it's worrying you now.

Lottiedoubtie Wed 12-Feb-14 23:29:17

No absolutely not.

BrianTheMole Wed 12-Feb-14 23:29:42

No way.

Justgemm Wed 12-Feb-14 23:31:18

It's a shame, it's a stunning house and the only suitable one in the area, but I can't get past it's health concerns.

BrianTheMole Wed 12-Feb-14 23:31:39

Well, having said that, it depends on the size of the garden. If it was a few acres or more, and it was far as it possibly could be from the house, then maybe I would. If it was dirt cheap.

Justgemm Wed 12-Feb-14 23:34:02

Very true Brianthemole, I probably would too, but unfortunately it's not sad

BrianTheMole Wed 12-Feb-14 23:36:22

Shame. That would have been nice!

SeaSaltCrisps Wed 12-Feb-14 23:51:24

I think you would have problems selling it on.

MrsAMerrick Thu 13-Feb-14 04:37:31

No, I wouldn't, although am not sure if this is based on scientific evidence that it might be bad for your health, or more on the fact that as a child I was scared witless by a TV series about people being turned mad when close to electrical items - took me years to walk under overhead powerlines without fear....

I do think you would find it difficult to sell on, because of people like me who would discount it. We have an electricity sub station in our village, and there is a low humming from it, that would also drive me mad if I lived anywhere near it.

littlecrystal Thu 13-Feb-14 08:24:16

I would not. In fact I have refused 2 houses because of this. It depends on how big is the garden, though.

With house 1 the hum was audible standing from the open back door. So it was clear no (about 10 meters in distance). It was marketed about 20k below asking price and AFAIK no one bought it.

With house 2 it wasnt immediately obvious so I had put an offer on it. When I saw the substation behind the back fence, it was an instant No! in my head. I withdrew my offer. Someone else bought it quite quickly after, as there is general lack of properties and the house prices are rising.

From 10m onwards I would be more concerned with the hum abd resalebility of the house than EMF.

Catsmamma Thu 13-Feb-14 08:27:13

no...I would be able to hear it humming and zizzing away

and I remember that tv series too Mrs Merrick ...some scary stuff on the childrens tv in the 70's !

SmeeHee Thu 13-Feb-14 08:37:42

Yes I probably would, although I would be wary about how much I paid for it due to resale issues. In fact there's a house near me that we'll definitely offer for (should it ever happen to be put up for sale) with a small substation adjoining the plot. No humming issues with that one though.

I think it would be a shame if you discount an otherwise great house because of fear of potential health issues, for which there is no scientific evidence. sad

Bagtrainlady Thu 13-Feb-14 08:44:02

My parents had a house with a substation near to it. I don't know if it was connected but the tree nearest to substation had to be felled as it was weakened & a danger. The noise wasn't a problem as there was an airport about 500m down the road!

ShadowOfTheDay Thu 13-Feb-14 08:45:44

Depends on the size of the substation? Next door to us has the "end of the line" substation for our little area - it is tiny and makes no noise.... they get paid for access and the fence gets replaced/repainted every so often too... the electric board are "good neighbours".....

Retropear Thu 13-Feb-14 08:47:01

No way

Mandy2003 Thu 13-Feb-14 09:05:24

Is it definitely in use though? I thought there was one in the yard next to my block of flats but when a 6'6" friend looked over the fence he said it was empty!

Forago Thu 13-Feb-14 10:31:59

no way - noise and resale prime concerns but also health suspicions and worrying about the children playing out there.

middleagedspread Thu 13-Feb-14 10:34:17

My gut reaction would be no. But actually, does anyone know if there are risks? I think I'd try and found out more if I really liked the house.

NigellasDealer Thu 13-Feb-14 10:35:40

my mum had a substation on the corner of her road and died young of leukaemia, of course these things might be quite unrelated but still....
so a big no from me

AngelsWithSilverWings Thu 13-Feb-14 10:42:20

My last house had one to the side/back of our garden.

The right hand side of our back garden was bordered by the neighbours detached garage. Behind the garage , completely out of our view was the substation.

We didn't know it was there until after we had bought the house and we sold 8 years later without a problem.

But when we were looking for a new house we decided against an otherwise perfect house because it had a substation slap bang next to it.

So even though I have owned and sold a house with one I wouldn't do it now.

specialsubject Thu 13-Feb-14 12:48:12

'The Changes' was science fiction. There is no evidence that living near e-fields is harmful, and anyone bothered should not be using the internet.

but hum and eyesore are real, as are the beliefs that there is a health hazard which will affect resale.

still, if we want electricity...

Aethelfleda Thu 13-Feb-14 13:04:59

We have a large one a few doors down. When we bought the house we looked at all the planning documents (it's quite new), and they included EMF readings inside and out. There is more EMF standing next to the fridge than in the garden and the readings were microscopic compared to the "natural" readings from the earth itself. So there's no health issues from substations cos all they do is downgrade current for domestic use. Very High voltage power lines may be a different matter...

Oh and we honestly don't hear any noise as there's a brick wall between it and us (and a few neighbours walls).

BUT I would say it's better to buy such a house if you're planning to live there a long time, than for a short-hop move. That should minimise the risk of being in a hurry to sell. And of course if it's worth a few k less to buy, that will also apply when you sell....

Viviennemary Thu 13-Feb-14 13:06:24

Absolutely not. Never in a million years.

Thumbwitch Thu 13-Feb-14 13:06:52

No, not ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now