Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have you had new PVC windows recently?

(10 Posts)
mrscog Wed 12-Feb-14 21:30:06

We're considering purchasing a property, but it only has single glazed windows, so changing these would be quite a high priority. I'm just trying to get a vague idea of how much these things cost (I'm aware there's a huge amount of variability but people's experience would be helpful. Thanks smile

AmIatwat Thu 13-Feb-14 09:56:46

Get recommendations. Also you may need to get permission if you live in an older property. Remember that UPVC casements do not last as long as wooden ones but then again they won't need painting.
See local builders merchants and ask if they know of any good fitters, and don't use the people that advertise on the telly.

mabelbabel Thu 13-Feb-14 10:01:33

We are in the process of getting new windows done. It does depend on the number and type of new windows and doors that you require. For about £4.5k we are getting two new bays, 1 sliding patio door, and four other windows. This is for A-graded (efficiency) windows.

mrscog Thu 13-Feb-14 11:28:15

That's helpful - it's an 80's build so no worries about permission etc. Mabel - I presume the bays cost more than normal windows?

And I hadn't thought of recommendations, although I phoned a national company for advice and they were extremely rude so I will be using that as a warning sign!

Misty9 Thu 13-Feb-14 14:18:42

We had the windows replaced when we moved into our 30s semi recently. There is a new extension at the back so those were fine, but for two big windows, four small ones, bathroom window, hall stairs window and two back bedrooms (medium sized) it was £2,700 which was a great price due to the guy newly setting up on his own. Our decorator recommended him so definitely ask around.

mabelbabel Thu 13-Feb-14 22:48:33

Yes the bays were more than the other windows and the patio door was the most expensive single item. We had two local companies round to quote, plus a national (who were pants!)

WiseChildren Fri 14-Feb-14 17:35:54

About £1k per window as a rule of thumb. We got quotes from 3 local companies , went with company well liked the best but asked them to match the cheapest quote, hth!

WiseChildren Fri 14-Feb-14 17:39:01

Just realised it was around £2k for 3 large windows so that original price was wrong! They were A rated from local manufacturer smile

tallulah Fri 14-Feb-14 17:54:55

We had a very large bay window fitted this year (4 openers and 3 sides iYSWIM) and it was £2400.

We had our whole house done in the last house including front door and French doors at the back and that was £7k.

Briony32 Fri 14-Feb-14 18:56:10

We've had 5 large windows done and 2 small bathroom ones. Fitted last week. £4100. Large local firm. We are very pleased with the quality. Specifications were White, A+ Rated Upuc windows and external cills. All double glazed with Energy A sealed units incorporating Planitherm Total Plus glass, Argon gas, and Warm Edged Spacer Bar, multipoint locking with secure night ent position. White key locking handles. 90 degree fire escape hinges and all 4 bedrooms have Child restrictors fitted. Trickle vents to the heads of each window.
I'm fairly shocked at the discrepancy of prices above!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now