Advanced search

Help, we need to choose between two houses/areas

(38 Posts)
Rooners Wed 12-Feb-14 17:00:23

I don't know how to decide.

House 1: a flat, but a big one. It has share of the freehold with it, as we insisted, plus a new 125yr lease.

Already had survey, needs about 5K work in terms of updating electrics and new boiler etc.
It has some minor issues with roof repair and replastering certain rooms but mainly is in nice condition.

Our offer is about 5k over what the surveyor suggested was fair, so we tried to renegotiate but they aren't having any of it.

Pros are it's in a really good street in a not-so-great town, ie the best bit of the area. Quiet road, Victorian house, biggish garden backing onto playing field. Posh neighbours! smile well some of them.

Cons are it's about half an hour drive from school, and from where we mostly will be shopping etc - I don't like the town it's in very much, but this part is nice. I think on the whole it's well placed for facilities once we move over properly (school/Dr etc)

Second house is already 12K + cheaper, and is in an old mining village which has a reputation as a bit sort of low key - not much there but a post office and a new development, there are a couple of not so nice streets but it has a small school and a church and there are a lot of families there - I know someone I like from school who lives there and she says it's fine. But it feels a bit council-estatey, a bit run down iyswim. Most of the houses are owned though and people have modernised them.

The one we're looking at hasn't been modernised - elderly person has clearly lived there and not done the whole knock-through, new kitchen thing, which is GREAT as it's a 30s house (all of them are the same age and similar design) and I like the original features.

It has a smaller garden but it has a large front garden too, and a garage and hard standing for car (the other one has on road parking which tends to be fairly easy but isn't guaranteed).

In terms of repairs it looks like it will need updating (elec and gas) but no more than the flat. Haven't had a survey on it obvs.

Space inside is around the same I think overall - maybe a bit more tricky to fit all our things in, but it's fine.

It's nearer to our town where we are now so that's better than the flat. But there's not much to do there. Mostly worried about potential for crime/disinterested youths/burglary etc.

Tempted by the fact it is a whole house though.

With my heart I love both...I could make both of them beautiful. So that's not much use as an indicator smile

How would you decide?

Rooners Wed 12-Feb-14 17:03:18

Might put the links on my profile - that way I can remove them later, as long as no one says anything too identifying on the thread we should be Ok!

LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Feb-14 17:11:26

If your whole life is in one place why not wait til something comes up there?

It's too far to drive half an hour to school and wasteful. If you move school/life then either.

I definitely prefer a whole house over a flat in a shabby town though. But I'd want to wait to see if there were disinterested kids hanging about when the weather is nice.

We have a delayed spring so really you need to wait a few weeks to see what comes on the market smile

Rooners Wed 12-Feb-14 17:16:45

Oh thanks Laurie - well, yes, there's been barely anything on since we found the first one.

The thing is though we have a limited budget and anything that's come up in the town we are now isn't going to be affordable - not unless it's in a much worse area.

These are further out but they are far nicer than anything we'd get where we are now. It's just so expensive. We're renting on a really nice street but the house over the road just sold for £850K.

magimedi Wed 12-Feb-14 17:17:26

Your links don't work - they just take me to the index page of Rightmove.

Not having seen them I am with Laurie - neither sound right in terms of location & half hour from school and town will end up being a pain & expensive in fuel.

Rooners Wed 12-Feb-14 17:18:54

Sorry about the links, it works for me - you have to leave 'House 1/2' off the end though obvs. Maybe that will help?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Feb-14 17:29:03

Ok, the house is good - nice size, very cheap. Is there a reason you wouldn't move primary schools, the local one in the village got a new Ofsted Good?

It could be a lovely family estate? You know, the sort where people watch out for each other and notice if burglars are around?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Feb-14 17:30:08

The flats under offer?

HandbagsandSnotrags Wed 12-Feb-14 17:32:14

I like the flat. Prefer its location and garden. Appreciate house could be lovely but suspect it will always be limited by its location.

Rooners Wed 12-Feb-14 17:32:18

Yes I think it is a great school which moves me towards the house...only 80 children and 20 per class.

Not sure if we would fit into the community atmosphere, that's what worries me a bit - it does seem close knit but I'm not very good at that, I'm a bit of a keep-to-myself type. (not horrible just shy!)

Hopefully it would be Ok though.

I still don't know what to do.

One side of me says playing field,

The other says pantry grin gotta love a house with a pantry.

Rooners Wed 12-Feb-14 17:32:37

The offer is us!!!

LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Feb-14 17:32:46

Is 150 your maximum? Have you had a look at the more substantial semi for 169? There's also a ton of bungalows/house in the place you've looked at the flat.

Rooners Wed 12-Feb-14 17:33:56

In times to come if we sold I bet the flat would have appreciated markedly, while the house wouldn't so much.

You have to want to live in that village iyswim, really - the other place is more versatile in location, you are right. Also the style and the street make it kind of desirable/ fashionable.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Feb-14 17:34:44

What about a house in the area the flat is though?

Agree that you have to want to live in that village.

Rooners Wed 12-Feb-14 17:35:01

Point me at it Laurie, limit is around 165 (officially) so depends on what they would take. We really can't go much higher though.

member Wed 12-Feb-14 17:37:19

Aesthetically, I like house 1 better though not keen on the steps down to the garden , particularly if kids to consider. OTOH, it sounds as though the money you'd spend would be safety/maintenance.

House two represents a better opportunity to add value whilst putting your own stamp on it. Would house 2 require a school move?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Feb-14 17:38:12

Ok, the 3 bed detached bungalow on Sea Street is very nice - big garden, yes to needing updating but lots of space to grow into - on at 169.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Feb-14 17:39:37

It looks like a lovely street if you click Street View, all
Very well maintained (not like the house in the village)

LEMmingaround Wed 12-Feb-14 17:39:38

I can't get the link to work - but from what you say about the village i am pretty sure i know it. If its the one that begins with AD - yes, if it begins with AY - NO!!! i worked at the later one, it was like a ghost town and there really isn't much there other than a huge housing estate.

Rooners Wed 12-Feb-14 17:40:03

Well, ds is HE at the moment so no, not really. Ds1 is about to move to secondary in any case. So that's not an issue really.

It's just is the location any good, will we feel safe there (I am a bit of a wuss at night, and no DH around - can imagine someone knocking at the door and me just freaking out!) and will the kids be bored.

House 1 you're right about the steps. I think we will manage though - the garden isn't shared which is great. Later my folks might go for the downstairs flat if it becomes available.

Rooners Wed 12-Feb-14 17:41:45

Lem - no, begins with a H - do you know the one? on the Island Rd.

Laurie, if it's the one I'm thinking of, sea street is tiiiiny and very very damp indeed (have seen it!) But garden is bigger. The area is horrid though there. Totally different vibe. All chip shops and boy racers.

Rooners Wed 12-Feb-14 17:44:14

yy sea street is the one I've looked at. It's lovely, but I have a thing for houses that smell of mildew grin

seriously bad condition, no damp proof course, bathroom is appalling (not just old fashioned)

nice original doors though.

LEMmingaround Wed 12-Feb-14 17:46:29

oh, have just seen the links - the house NO!!! no way, that is a really horrible area - don't even THINK about it

LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Feb-14 17:48:16

Yep, it's not large inside.

The 3 bed in Poplar Road is nice though. On at 174, might get a cheeky deal? Loads of garden, not massive inside but bigger than the bungalow and loads of room to extend at the back.

There's fuck all on the market down there right now isn't there? Seems really quiet when you look at the whole area - I do think the weather is delaying people putting their houses on the market.

LEMmingaround Wed 12-Feb-14 17:52:34

The only thing i would say about the flat (which i really REALLY like!) is that my friend lives in an upstairs flat (which she is actually thinking of selling, if she does i'll PM you - she had it valued today) is that the noise travels downstairs from their 8yo lad and the previous neighbours complained. They own the freehold which is good though - also has a non shared garden - its in a place begining with W though so might be more money sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now