Talk

Advanced search

Ridge tile pointing: how long should it last?

(8 Posts)
struggling100 Wed 12-Feb-14 14:22:20

My DH had the roof ridge repointed when he moved in 6 years ago. Large chunks have fallen off and it needs redoing. I would have thought the job should have lasted longer than this... Am I being unreasonable and what should I do? The quote (from a different company) for repointing, replacing a few missing tiles and an iron hip joint is nearly 500 quid...

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 12-Feb-14 14:56:22

Wow ! On a day like today ( winds blowing like I've never seen before in UK ! ) I'd be surprised anything stays on a roof ! Maybe contact the original contractor and ask if he garentees his work ?! If he says yes and it's within the garentee timescale would be worth bringing them back onsite to make good ?!?!

struggling100 Wed 12-Feb-14 16:36:34

grin

I know, isn't it terrible out there?! I'm wondering if I'm going to need more tiles replaced by tomorrow morning...

pigleychez Wed 12-Feb-14 18:15:00

We had the end ridge tiles all repointed just before xmas and it cost us around £500. Think it was a 2 yr guarantee. ( We sold the house and the New buyers wanted it done so didn't pay a huge amount of attention)

Lagoonablue Wed 12-Feb-14 18:20:31

Just lost 3 ridge tiles from the extension in the wind.

Is my roof going to leak?

struggling100 Thu 13-Feb-14 08:46:13

Lagoonablue - if it's anything like mine, yes. Sorry!

yomellamoHelly Thu 13-Feb-14 09:11:42

Something in my head is saying around five years (from parents experience many moons ago). Given recent weather not surprised what's happened either.

Lagoonablue Thu 13-Feb-14 11:35:37

Got someone to come and mend though don't know when. He says is OK water wise as there is a membrane but needs doing in next couple of days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now