Talk

Advanced search

Getting my kitchen quote down

(16 Posts)
Tournesol Wed 12-Feb-14 13:08:31

I need some help to get the quote for getting my kitchen re-done reduced to a more affordable level!

I went to Wickes yesterday to get the design, we are going for Tiverton bone and have are having two quite large larder cupboards which are costing quite a bit. Was quoted about £7k for all the kitchen cupboards and oak worktop. Plus an extra £2.5 for installation and then another £1,300 for electrics etc.

I have sent DH to try benchmarx today to see if he can get a better deal on the units. I have got a quote for the worktops from barncrest but it actually works out a little more (only way to get it cheaper would be to get unoiled and do all the oiling ourselves -- anyone else done this?).

I am going to try some local fitters to get that cost down but worried about finding someone reliable.

Also going to try and source my rangemaster online to get that cheaper too.

I guess I am just worried that it is going to be all the plastering and electrics that are going to add to the total so want to get the actual units etc for a good price!

Anyone got any wise words on how to get the quote down?

LondonGirl83 Wed 12-Feb-14 13:27:12

2.5k for installation sounds a lot. How large a kitchen is it?

Tournesol Wed 12-Feb-14 13:44:07

Its probably 2.5m by 3m but it also includes a small utility area where we have having the second custom made larder unit which I think is pushing the price up.

Blueuggboots Wed 12-Feb-14 13:46:59

What area are you?

We paid someone to fit our kitchen a while after we bought it. He was BRILLIANT and overcame lots of awkward fitting problems (solid work surface only comes in one width and the cupboards underneath had

Blueuggboots Wed 12-Feb-14 13:48:03

Whoops!
To be chopped down to fit. He gave uploads of suggestions that we hadn't thought of. He charged £4k just to fit to and the solid work surfaces!!

I think it pays to shop around for fitting.

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 12-Feb-14 15:15:15

Try www.diy-kitchens.com/kitchens/shaker/ for a pricing ?! Might be cheaper ... It's always good to shop around!

Theironfistofarkus Wed 12-Feb-14 20:34:46

Try ikea maybe? They do actually have some nice kitchens. Was benchmarx any cheaper?

Suzietwo Wed 12-Feb-14 20:38:14

Drop the oak and go for a laminate. V easy to replace when you're got enough money

OliviaBenson Wed 12-Feb-14 20:40:06

We've just ordered the Tiverton grey from wickes. We are getting them to fit, but doing our own electrics- could you get someone in to do that?

They were honest with me and told me not to get their baskets with the pull out larders and they are pricy- ikea ones fit and are much cheaper apparently. Appliances you can get cheaper. I have to say though, our kitchen is bigger than yours and our quote is £8500k inc fitting. Could you wait for a sale? Ours was cheaper just after Xmas.

Theincidental Wed 12-Feb-14 20:42:19

Go to an independent supplier in your area. Where are you? Can recommend in Devon and Cornwall.

SwedishEdith Wed 12-Feb-14 20:46:18

Yes to oiling the oak worktops yourself. 3 coats each side. But they are bloody heavy and you'll need them on site a few days before fitting so have enough time to do it. Got ours from Wood and Beyond. But agree that laminate is a good "for now" option as well

SeaSaltCrisps Wed 12-Feb-14 20:57:29

Try Ikea, you don't have to pay anymore for them to come around and measure up/check your plans. I am being charged just under £2k for a small kitchen, plumbing, electrics, boxing in, removal of old kitchen etc. All I have to do is get someone else to remove the wallpaper, pain and tile the walls/floor after the kitchen has been fitted.

I was quoted about 1k for the stone worktop, I am now paying under £100 for laminate instead.

SeaSaltCrisps Wed 12-Feb-14 20:58:35

The Ikea fitters are even putting blinds up for me within their quote.

Theironfistofarkus Wed 12-Feb-14 23:04:44

You could consider ikea cabinets and buy posh doors elsewhere.

calendula Wed 12-Feb-14 23:13:41

Ikea worktops can look great if you sand and treat them yourself. They are very cheap.

You will need a place to stand outside so you can sand them with an electric sander grain 120 - 180 - 240 (unless you want to fill the house with dust).

You need to sand away the original oil that is on the top surface but don't bother with the bottom. It took me about an hour for each worktop, so not too bad really.

3-4 coats of Osmo oil on top and a couple on the bottom.

Will save you loads of money. Don't worry about the rather rough surface on the IKEA worktops when you buy them. They do turn out lovely. (don't buy IKEA own brand worktop oil, it is crap).

Tournesol Thu 13-Feb-14 14:51:13

Thanks for all the advice!

We went to Ikea originally hoping to get kitchen from there but I just did not like any of them enough.

Really love wood kitchens, and as this is the house we are hopefully staying in forever I want to get a proper lovely kitchen!

Have now fallen in love the the benchmarx Somerset in Olive green. DH went today and they are working out a quote for us but did warn him it was expensive range so not holding my breath!

Will certainly check out the ikea worktops! We have a garage so I could easily store and oil work tops myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now