Talk

Advanced search

Double glazing, did you pay the quoted price?

(7 Posts)
Sleepybunny Tue 11-Feb-14 21:26:20

Just that really. We've had three quotes which all vary significantly.

Did you knock down the cost a bit? Just wondering if I should put the game face on now and start haggling.

CommanderShepard Wed 12-Feb-14 18:14:05

I didn't haggle but that's because the chap I liked best was also the cheapest and it was cheaper than I was expecting grin

What are the quotes like, and how many are you having done? If it helps I'm in Oxfordshire and had 9 windows, 3 exterior doors and 1 set French doors done in white uPVC (I know, I know, but we're mid-terrace and everyone else has them) for £5200 (A-rated, 10-year guarantee). And they fitted a new cat flap for free.

The other quotes were £6000 and £8000; both local firms rather than Anglian or anyone like that. The other two, as well as being more expensive, I didn't like at all and they weren't going to be the ones fitting them whereas the other chap did everything from sales to surveying to fitting.

Sunnyshores Wed 12-Feb-14 20:28:20

In Hants - end terrace rental property 5 windows, front door, french door for £3200. 3 quotes, 2 local companies and a larger national, only a few hundred different.

I tried to haggle, match lowest price, get a nicer door, told them they could fit now or whenever suited... not interested unfortunately.

Sleepybunny Thu 13-Feb-14 19:56:56

I got 27k for 11 windows. Sash uPVC (to match the surrounding buildings)

External Door was 2.5k.

shock

ShatnersBassoon Thu 13-Feb-14 19:58:00

No, we offered 10% lower than the price quoted and it was accepted without question.

Sharingeverything Thu 13-Feb-14 20:01:15

We've had 4 quotes 3 have come in at £9500/£10000 and one at £13,500, that is for 17 windows, two sets of French doors, new front door and new back door, white UPVC.

MoonlightandRoses Thu 13-Feb-14 21:08:49

No - we managed to knock 36% off the initial estimate (triple glazing though), and then get them to agree sandblasted windows for the bathrooms and a more expensive finish for the front windows as well when they wouldn't go any lower. They weren't cheap in the first place admittedly, but we'd used them before so knew the workmanship/after sales was top notch and didn't mind including that in our price considerations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now