Talk

Advanced search

I have removal quotes that differ in price wildly, why?

(11 Posts)
jhonbell Mon 10-Feb-14 10:15:01

I have removal quotes from different removal firms and they are differ in their prices.

ToFollowJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 10:17:10

I have the same problem at the moment - one is £600 and another is £1500!

Have you looked for reviews online? Having done a bit of research on my quotes the typical comment for the £600 firm is "You get what you pay for!".

Madmog Mon 10-Feb-14 10:23:13

We had four removal quotes, with two being almost half that quoted by the two highest. I asked around and found someone who'd used one of the cheaper ones to go into store (we couldn't tie up our sale and purchase so had accepted we would go into store) and she told me lots of stuff had been damaged with scratch marks and it had got damp in storage, so it might be the more expensive ones allowed more time for packing up and have better storage facilities.

Our completion date came up very quickly (three days notice) and only the most expensive one could slot us in (on five days notice, luckily purchaser allowed us to stay). They were brilliant, worked around what we were doing. With lack of time we weren't totally packed and they worked around us, ie if we were busy in a room it wasn't a problem, they'd go into another room, we had no damage and nothing was damp. We're hoping to move again and they will be our first choice whether the most expensive or not.

glammanana Mon 10-Feb-14 10:23:35

Are the quotes for the Companies coming in and doing the packing for you and supplying the boxes and materials and including insurance for any damage to property & your goods these would add a lot to the quote but would give you peace of mind,I would go on reccomendations of others and certainly look at the reviews,for a firm to comment "You get what you pay for" would not instill confidence anyway at all I'm sorry.

alphacourse Mon 10-Feb-14 10:25:48

It also depends upon how accurate they are is estimating the quantity of your goods and also their availability.

Procrastreation Mon 10-Feb-14 10:27:44

We had great cheap removers. They were manned by Poles - and I think they just worked hard & fast for low wages tbh. They were also scheduled quite tightly and had no physical office which would help with overheads.

cupcake78 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:28:36

Don't know if this helps but were having a standard move, 3 bed house, 40 boxes etc provided plus insurance. No storage needed only a few miles to move and all 4 quotes came in at 500-600 pounds. This includes attic, garage and garden contents.

Have you asked the more expensive quotes to justify their costs? Some movers will take freezers and fridges over night and store switched on.

specialsubject Mon 10-Feb-14 10:31:30

we had quotes that differed by a factor of four. Went with the cheaper one and all was well; hard working, prompt, careful, polite.

the firm was Simply Removals who are the subject of another thread, where some are pleased (like me) and some are taking legal action!

HandbagsandSnotrags Mon 10-Feb-14 11:19:59

Hmm. Our neighbour moved recently. She took cheapest quote and it ended up with her not being out when buyers arrived to move in as company had underestimated the time / vans required. Half her stuff spent the night in our lounge, the buyers movers put there's in storage and are suing her for costs so not sure its cheaper overall.
I'd check on van size/ loads estimated before taking the cheap option.

HandbagsandSnotrags Mon 10-Feb-14 11:20:51

There's! Wtf. Theirs.

Preciousbane Mon 10-Feb-14 11:25:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now