Talk

Advanced search

Packing up with a baby. How?!

(13 Posts)
cupcake78 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:07:53

I'm trying, I really am. Feel like I'm getting nowhere. I have trouble just keeping the house clean, clothes washed and family fed.

I have a 7 month old and a 6 year old. Dh works hours and hours and now I have the fluhmm. Not surprisingly it's been a very stressful 18 months.

I've managed 2 boxes since Thursday. 2 boxes! I have over 40 to get through and that's without all the washing and cleaning that's needed.

Dh will take time off the week we move because I simply refuse to do it on my own plus school runs and baby.

How do I do this? I think I still have 4 weeks. Date is yet to be set but don't think it will take long to come together.

Idespair Mon 10-Feb-14 10:10:27

You could pay the movers to pack the house up for you. We did this when we had a young baby and I was also ill. Or you could put the baby in a playpen so he/she can watch TV but be safe whilst you get a bit done. It's a nightmare though, I remember it.

SomethingkindaOod Mon 10-Feb-14 10:16:44

I sympathise, we moved with a 9 month old, a 6 year old and an 11 year old plus DH works long hours so it's bloody difficult I know!
Best tip I can give is do a box when you can. Concentrate on one room, get that room down to the basics then move onto the next. Don't look at the whole house, you'll cry blush
A week before get your clothes and food down to the basics. Pack or use everything else. You might end up having a takeaway the night before and having to rewear socks but sod it (again blush)
Oh and as soon as you get a date find some concrete babysitting. It takes a load off your mind when you know that you will be able to get the last minute stuff done without the DC's underfoot.

cupcake78 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:17:31

Can't do movers packing. I would love that but its not going to happen. No playpen. Our current house is tiny. I can't wait to move I will have space grin I will be able to swing a cat grin.

I can't even hand the children over. There is no one to give them to.

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 10-Feb-14 10:20:42

You have to have some help. Can you find a local childminder for a couple of days?

cupcake78 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:21:42

I've had a good throw out so not moving with junk. I just need to be cloned a few times over. It must be possible. Lots of people do it.

I'm emptying food cupboards and freezer slowly. I plan to pack a case of clothes and essentials for the week we move and we will be living off things like tinned pineapple sandwiches grin.

So ill, so excited, so shattered and getting stressed.

cupcake78 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:22:41

Childminder! Never thought of that. Wonder if I could even if just for a few afternoons.

Madmog Mon 10-Feb-14 10:29:00

I know there feels like so much to do, but I think you're putting yourself under too much pressure. A couple of boxes a week is fine for now especially as you've been going through the junk. If hubby is off the week of moving, then the two of you can mainly focus on packing. You've already thought about a childminder, but ask around and see if your six year old can go to a friends house after school a few nights or perhaps another Mum can do the school run. A childminder might be best for your baby, but there may be a family member of friend who could help a little.

cupcake78 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:39:05

Ds can help tbh. He's very able to pack up toys and none breakable things. He'd love it once I've got him out of the empty boxes wink.

glammanana Mon 10-Feb-14 10:47:27

You must be feeling daunted with all you have to do but just take a step back and try and relax,I know its hard but you need to take a few deep beathe's.
Childminder is favourite so get that sorted,have you thought of trying to find a local person who is looking for some spare cash to help you (maybe a girl looking for a few £s) do you know anyone locally who would help you ? By the time you come to move you will be "flu" free and feeling better just try not to do too much on moving day get your kitchen stuff done asap and baby stuff beds up and a place to collaspe on everything elsr will fall into place over the following weeks.Take care of yourself x

ginzillas Mon 10-Feb-14 20:56:27

Oh, I really feel for you! We had a nightmare moving with our toddler and there were a couple of incidents involving her injuring herself by attempting to clamber into packing boxes. I think that the key is starting early, which it sounds like you're doing, and doing a little bit each day - preferably when the dcs are in bed. And can you can get someone to come and help look after them on moving day? Good luck with it all - it will be so worth it once you're in your lovely new home!

Lucylouby Mon 10-Feb-14 22:44:47

4 weeks is loads of time. Wait till you are recovered on your illness. This time next week, you will be feeling much better, which will mean your head will be in a much better place to start packing.
We moved the week before Christmas. I started packing two weeks before we moved, that was only because we were delayed moving by a week. I only gave myself a week, because I knew I would start fretting about what to pack. What to leave till later etc. it was a bit of a rush, but I would do it the same way again next time. I agree with getting some help for moving week. Phone a few local childminders, see if they have any availability. I childmind and would take a child on this basis if I had space.
What cleaning needs doing? Do you rent? It might be easier to clean once it is empty? W used to have military houses and found it much easier to clean once all the furniture had gone. Rather than trying to dodge round the furniture to clean the skirting boards etc. do the bare minimum of washing until you move. Forget doing the bedding and other non essential washing until you have moved, you have enough to do now. Relax your standards for feeding the family a bit. Simple dinners are fine. Jacket potatoes, chips, frozen pizza, pasta. If you have had a busy day sorting out for the move, surely no one expects you to be slaving over the stove too.
Easier said than done, but try not to get stressed about it.

ToAvoidConversation Mon 10-Feb-14 22:46:43

Ask for help. Some people (like me and DH) love packing and would be round to help like a shot. We realise we're unusual thoughgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now