Talk

Advanced search

Belfast or steel sink?

(11 Posts)
superlambanana Sun 09-Feb-14 21:55:03

I love the look of the Belfast sinks but am worried that DH I will smash lots of crockery by accidentally catching it... Wondering if stainless steel would be a better option (we currently have a white resiny thing that's almost impossible to keep clean). Any thoughts?

wetaugust Sun 09-Feb-14 22:37:33

The holiday cottage I stayed in this year had a Belfast sink.

After a week of keaning down into the sink to do the washing up I actually had backache!

The may look nice but they are not practical.

That's why people moved away from them and installed alternatives.

17leftfeet Sun 09-Feb-14 22:40:31

How tall are you and DH?

If either of you are over 5ft 8 forget about a Belfast

Have you considered a ceramic sink that sits in your work top like a a stainless steel one?

pippibluestocking Sun 09-Feb-14 22:44:22

Really wouldn't recommend them, they look great when they're new but chip easily (if you have an accident prone DH!) and stain very quickly. There is no product out there that will keep them shining white!

superlambanana Sun 09-Feb-14 22:52:43

That's good to know - we'll go for the stainless steel as it's cheaper anyway!

MamaJazzHands Sun 09-Feb-14 22:55:21

I wanted a Belfast sink but DH wouldn't agree as it was too low down so we compromised on a ceramic sink instead.
I love it and don't have a problem with chipping or staining. In fact I think its easier to clean as you don't have to worry about water marks as with a stainless steel.

DPotter Sun 09-Feb-14 23:04:16

I have a shallow belfast sink and it's brilliant. No problems keeping it clean & shiny and no back ache from being too low. plenty of space to was the roastie tin and grill pan. Highly recommended.

elliephant Sun 09-Feb-14 23:18:41

I have a ss Belfast sink. Made by franke . Great for large pans and hiding dirty dishes.

dontcallmemam Mon 10-Feb-14 06:19:16

I have a double Belfast sink. I chipped a big chunk out of it. Was quoted £300. SS next time.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Mon 10-Feb-14 06:39:12

Have had a Belfast sink for ten years, am 5'8, wash-up in it all the time - no dishwasher - no back ache though. Have an oblong washing-up bowl in it. No chips and still sparkling white, soak it in bleach couple times a week.

Rooners Mon 10-Feb-14 07:48:46

I have a ceramic sink and regret it every day - the lip means water goes down onto the worktop from the sides, the bottom is covered in brown staining, and things break constantly.

Steel every time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now