Advanced search

can I convert a shed into a room?

(6 Posts)
Yvonne99 Sun 09-Feb-14 20:51:18

At the side of a property we would like to buy there is a shed. Shed looks solid and goes up to the boundary. Currently there is a storage and a toilet. There is an electricity. The shed is as long as the house. Between the house and the shed there is 1.5 meter gap. The gap is covered by some roofing. The gap has got some floor that looks solid.
At the front of the property there is a wall and door into that gap ( between house and shed).
There is a door ( at the side of the house) in the kitchen leading to that covered area and the shed.

Do you think I can convert that shed and the gap (between the shed and a gap) into a room?
I think I would need to isolate the walls, put a proper roof and finish it off.
Would I need any planning permission?
The job seems easy - is it?

MrsTaraPlumbing Mon 10-Feb-14 14:35:16

If it is at the rear of your property you can probably do anything to the shed and without planning permission required.

You can make it into a room. BUT if you want to attach it to the house and make it a part of the house you will need to comply with building regulations- look on your local authority website the application is simple but it means bringing it up to standard - floor walls, roof and windows. This may be more costly than you require?

You may need planning permission to turn it into an extension of your home.
Permitted development means you won't need planning permission depending on a number of criteria, you can build 3 m back from original back wall of attached, and 4 m back if detached.

Do check all this with your local planners and they should have lots of useful stuff on their website.

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 10-Feb-14 14:40:34

This lay out sounds a bit like in like some of the council houses in Lancs. My friends parents bought theirs years ago and made theirs into a kitchen. Quite a few of the street have done the same thing over the years.

Yvonne99 Mon 10-Feb-14 16:09:19

Yes, it is an ex-LA property in South West. The shed is at the side. I'd like to turn it into office and utility area. I was hoping it could be done without informing LA...

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 10-Feb-14 16:13:38

I honestly don't know about the legalities, sorry, but I can say that the ones I've seen have been really well done and have added to the value a fair bit.

sneakyday Mon 10-Feb-14 16:28:38

You need to check if there is anything that may affect your permitted development rights. I.e are there any planning conditions or do you live in an article 4 area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now