Advanced search

Eh? having a gas boiler in a kitchen means I can't have a vented cooker hood, only a recirculating one

(8 Posts)
shoom Sun 09-Feb-14 20:33:30

(buying a new house)

I am used to a vented cooker hood. The new house has a recirculating one and I thought I'd look into whether I could have a vented one. I've heard that I can't, because the gas boiler is also in the kitchen. If you know ably this or can point me in the right direction to find out more I'd appreciate it.

I've seen many comments here about recirculating hoods being useless, but don't remember anyone mentioning boilers being a sticking point.

Mcnorton Sun 09-Feb-14 20:40:08

We had a new kitchen 3 years ago, and we have a gas boiler next to a vented hood. The installation company had no problem with it (& they did pick up on other no-nos so I've no reason to think they wouldn't have spotted a problem if there was one). They replaced the same arrangement that was there for 11 years before that. They both work fine. I can't prove its ok but my personal experience, FWIW, is that it is.

Bloodyteenagers Sun 09-Feb-14 20:40:47

I was told it was something to do with the flue, and that it cannot be open. The flue has to be sealed or balanced type.

specialsubject Sun 09-Feb-14 20:47:12

there are regulations regarding distance of flues from other openings in the wall. There's probably a way round it depending on the size and shape of the kitchen. Look on the gas safe site and go from there.

as always: 'I heard' is not reliable!

shoom Sun 09-Feb-14 20:54:20

I found this-

Interaction of Mechanical extract ventilation and open-flued combustion appliances
1.20 Extract fans lower the pressure in a building, which can cause the spillage of combustion products from open-flued appliances. This can occur even if the appliance and the fan are in different rooms. Ceiling fans produce air currents and hence local depressurisation, which can also cause the spillage of flue gases from open-flued appliances or from solid fuel open fires. In buildings where it is intended to install open-flued combustion appliances and extract fans, the combustion appliance should be able to operate safely whether or not the fans are running.

Saltycopporn Sun 09-Feb-14 21:32:36

Only for open flued appliances. Which boiler do you have? (im gas safe registered)

PigletJohn Mon 10-Feb-14 00:52:39

I don't think I've seen anyone with a gas boiler that this would apply to, in at least 30 years.

It does apply to things that have chimneys, such as gas fires, wood stoves and coal ranges, and some oil-burners, because the suction of an extractor can suck the fumes into the room instead of letting them rise up the chimney. If you do have such a thing, there are some rules relating to room size and ventilation.

Salty will know, if you find out the make and model.

shoom Mon 10-Feb-14 08:15:00

Thanks, I don't live there yet and don't know about the flue etc, but will try to find out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: