Talk

Advanced search

Responsibility for roofs in Glasgow flats?

(7 Posts)
JellicleCat Sun 09-Feb-14 14:54:51

We are thinking of buying an investment property in Glasgow, probably a traditional tenement flat. Does anyone know who is responsible for roof repairs, and external repairs in general come to that. Is it shared between all the flats in the tenement or what?

7to25 Sun 09-Feb-14 14:59:26

Generally the remit of the factor...property management company , ans all repairs will be divided by the number of properties, typically eight. They may also organise buildings insurance and stair cleaning. Big repairs are agreed between all owners.

JellicleCat Sun 09-Feb-14 15:52:53

Thanks 7 that's what I thought. Another cost to "factor" in then.

JellicleCat Sun 09-Feb-14 15:55:53

And next question. If you owned a top floor flat could you get access to the roof space and insulate it? I realise this probably varies but would like to know if anyone has done it?

7to25 Sun 09-Feb-14 16:55:01

You could certainly access it, probably from the upper landing. I don't know anything about insulation, it would probably be your own responsibility. Good question.

PrimalLass Sun 09-Feb-14 17:48:42

You would need to check the deeds. Usually the 'roof burden' will have been shared, but not always.

beatricequimby Sun 09-Feb-14 21:21:56

You need to bear in mind that there may not be a factor. The building may be self-factoring, possibly because somebody really organised wants to take on the responsibility and save everyone money. Or because nobody wants to pay for a factoring company. This happens quite often and can become really difficult because necessary repairs don't get done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now