Talk

Advanced search

vinyl flooring on solid concrete - too cold for a bare bum?

(4 Posts)
nobodysawmedoit Sun 09-Feb-14 14:13:11

We need to refloor the hideous laminate left behind by previous owners and I've been looking at various wood effect vinyls. They all feel really cold to me (going direct on concrete base, no money for UFH) - although in the advertising bumpf they all claim to be warm. Anyone have experience of this?
Some of the vinyls are 3mm thick and padded which seems like it should be warmer than the really thin tile kind, but they don't look as nice. Man in shop said the thin tiles are just as warm but I find that hard to believe.
Thoughts?
Thank you!!

brumeye Sun 09-Feb-14 17:06:48

I wouldn't expect any vinyl flooring to be very warm on uninsulated concrete (I think only relatively modern houses have insulation under the concrete slab?)

I'd have thought that adding rigid insulation (Celotex?) on top of the concrete would make the vinyl much warmer. Maybe even just plywood would be of some help.

poocatcherchampion Mon 10-Feb-14 12:06:58

we've got plywood in between to level floor. it might not be warm but it is warmer than tiles!

yourlittlesecret Wed 12-Feb-14 15:35:33

I have a good quality vinyl on the concrete floor in my utility and it is freezing. I have washable mats down as I can't stand it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now