Talk

Advanced search

The patio walls between our neighbours

(6 Posts)
rollingpastryagain Sun 09-Feb-14 08:52:45

We live in a mid-terraced townhouse and we're finally having the patio seen to.

We're going to replace the battered wooden fences with brick walls and have them rendered.

We know our neighbours are very strapped for cash so don't intend asking either of them to contribute but our question is should we put the walls in the original place or should we keep them within our boundaries?

Voiceoffstage Sun 09-Feb-14 09:22:09

I suggest that you consult & agree with your neighbours where the boundry lies & where the wall should go.

If they're strapped for cash they may also have concerns about who would be responsible for maintenence on their side.

Personally I'd be over the moon if my neighbour offered to replace an old battered fence with a lovely new wall that I could grow climbers up smile

rollingpastryagain Sun 09-Feb-14 09:27:51

Voiceoffstage well that is something to take in to account isn't it. They wouldn't be able to grow climbers up it if it were in our boundary (but would we want to stop them in either case??) What maintenance would there be on their side?

Voiceoffstage Sun 09-Feb-14 17:27:37

Hi again. In answer to your question about maintenance - I can't think that it would be an issue (it wouldn't be for me) but people can be funny...
As I said, I can't imagine why anyone would possibly object to you building & paying for a lovely new wall. I'd think that you were the bestest neighbour ever!!

BoBoo Sun 09-Feb-14 18:50:08

If you're talking about doing both sides, then the likelihood is that only one of the boundaries is your responsibility. I don't think anyone can objecct to you putting up a wall within your boundary, but I would think that one of the fences belongs to your neighbour and you would need there permission to remove it.

AllIWant85 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:58:11

We recently did this, took down all 3 fences and replaced them with rendered walls. 2 were ours and the third was out neighbours. We spoke to both sides (one for permission and one out of courtesy) and explained how high they would be, that they would be rendered (at our cost) on both sides. Both sides were delighted.

It's alot easier maintaining a wall than a fence. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now