Talk

Advanced search

Painted Pine Furniture

(35 Posts)
ushiemama Sat 08-Feb-14 23:17:02

I'm thinking of painting my orangey pine furniture. Am I doing the right thing...I'm a little bit nervous.

singleandfabulous Sun 09-Feb-14 01:47:31

Yes! I did this with mine and it looks lovely. I used a laura ashley off-white eggshell paint and it looks lovely and really brightens the room. Prep work is essential for a good finish though.

2plus1 Sun 09-Feb-14 07:53:18

We have a pair of pine chest of drawers either side of our chimney breast. We painted both with an off white paint (annie sloane) and it makes such a difference to lightening up the room. I was very apprehensive about 'ruining' the furniture but am very happy with the look. Cant comment on durability as ours have only been painted a few weeks!

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 09-Feb-14 10:14:27

great idea ! use undercoat and knot treatment first !!! or it will bleed through eventually !

ushiemama Sun 09-Feb-14 22:29:07

Thanks for replies...Can't wait to get started. Thanks for the tip about knotting.

ghostinthecanvas Sun 09-Feb-14 22:35:31

Yes. You will be amazed at the difference. I first painted furniture 25 years ago. Everyone thought I was mad. It's like having new furniture with the bonus of knowing you did it yourself.
it is addictive though can I help?

MILdesperandum Sun 09-Feb-14 22:58:02

Has anyone painted a piano? Am seriously considering painting ours... but don't know if I'm brave enough! It's not an expensive one so I'm not worried about ruining it's value

ghostinthecanvas Sun 09-Feb-14 23:26:47

apopofpretty.com/piano-painting/
I have seen a painted piano. Lovely. Lot of work though

MILdesperandum Sun 09-Feb-14 23:33:25

Thanks for those pics, don't know if I'm brave enough for the bright colours! Hmmm maybe should start with the coffee table and work my way up..

spotty26 Mon 10-Feb-14 12:29:07

I have painted lots of pieces over the years but I am very slapdash and hate prep work. I now use Annie Sloan as you can have almost instant results. A couple of hours and it is done. I hate sanding, cleaning, undercoating etc.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 20-Feb-14 21:23:19

I've just painted pine chairs in an Annie Sloane plain white. I just did one coat and they look good. Shabby chic , distressed look with the one coat. No sanding or prep. I'm not sure whether I'll bother doing a second coat.
I wish there were more colours in the range. I'd love Mykonos blue, cornflower blue and bright pink.

SilverSixpence Thu 20-Feb-14 22:26:36

I've just painted my dining table in annie sloan Provence, looks gorgeous.

neepsandtatties Fri 21-Feb-14 07:15:49

holly autentico chalk paints are the same as Annie Sloan, with over 100 colours

hollyisalovelyname Fri 21-Feb-14 09:34:11

Thank you Neeps

LoveVintage Fri 21-Feb-14 19:15:53

Yes go for it. I paint everything at the moment! I have painted a bookcase, shelving alcoves, tv unit, sewing box, old sewing table, other units - it is a joke in my house not to stand still or you might get "distressed"".

I have used Annie Sloan as you need no prep for it, but not everyone might like the finish. I have also used Farrow & Ball both eggshell and emulsion. I am not very patient at doing the prep work though.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 21-Feb-14 19:59:27

Love Vintage what is the Annie sloan finish like?

wonkylegs Fri 21-Feb-14 20:50:45

We have orange pine built in cupboards & fireplace. I sanded them down, used Dulux trade undercoat and then dulux trade brilliant white gloss. Wow the difference was amazing.
Looks classic and sleek now rather than slightly out of place country cottage.

neepsandtatties Sat 22-Feb-14 08:06:49

holly the chalk paint finishes are all quite powdery, if you got a cloth and rubbed hard then you could rub through to the paint. That's why you need to wax it afterwards. There are loads of tutorials on youtube (search for annie sloan) to give you an idea. Many Annie Sloan or Authentico stockists also offer workshops to teach you the techniques (i.e. using coloured waxes to add a distressed look)

PoorOldCat Sat 22-Feb-14 08:16:48

As long as you don't do it in that pale cream or light tealy blue, go for it. Red is good smile

Shabby chic is OVER.

PoorOldCat Sat 22-Feb-14 08:18:18

Or dark brown is good too.

cavell Sat 22-Feb-14 10:30:34

I've thought about painting some furniture, but tbh the shabby chic look isn't really what I want. I want it to look... well, I'm not sure what the word is. Finished, I suppose.

Does painted furniture ever look "finished"? Or is it going to be shabby chic (which wouldn't really fit into our new house. (Yeah! moving - finally!)

LoveVintage Sat 22-Feb-14 14:51:02

Annie Sloan is a chalky paint and does not give a "perfect" finish and yes, it does need waxed to protect it. I like it but not for everyone. Look up on YouTube and you will see the kind of finish you can get with it.

Poor I unashamedly love shabby chic, it will never be over in my house! I am veering towards a more industrial look with metals and bolder colours, not so much pastel now.

cavell Sat 22-Feb-14 18:01:15

Thanks. I've seen some photos, but it's hard to tell how things will look in the flesh, as it were.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 22-Feb-14 18:17:35

I've just done a bookcase in French grey. Or Paris grey. It's a lovely pale grey anyway. It suits our wooden, oak floor, slightly modern country style house but it's not definitely shabby chic. It's one flat, matt colour. You don't have to distress the edges.

To change the subject a little, have any of you done kitchen units in chalk paint?

cavell Sat 22-Feb-14 21:21:13

Thanks, AnythingNotEverything, that sounds like the kind of look I was thinking of.

I have a small bookcase, so I think I'll give it a go next week. There's a larger one, if that's successful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now