Talk

Advanced search

2 or 3 bedrooms

(10 Posts)
redrosessmellbest Sat 08-Feb-14 22:19:29

choice of 2 houses:
a) 2 very large bedrooms, potential to convert one of them into 2 very small bedrooms (7 ft 6 x 7 ft), boarded out carpeted loft room accessed by a ladder, garage and off road parking, lovely tree lined road. Needs total redecoration
b) 3 bedroomed, no garage or off road parking, less nice road. But is beautifully decorated, would need to do nothing
both a similar price, cant decide.

Don't intend on having DCs for a few years, and could easily live in the 2 bedroomed for house 5 years, but I cant quite get my head around a house with 2 bedrooms.

Clargo55 Sat 08-Feb-14 22:23:32

Would you be willing to link? Personally I wouldn't buy a house without off-street parking.

Could you do an up and over extension above the garage one day? Would give you an extra bedroom without making the others smaller.

Thecatisatwat Sat 08-Feb-14 22:52:58

I agree, the off-street parking would swing it for me. I once lived in a terraced house with no parking and if I got home late from work I would have to park on the next street. If I did get parking, in the morning I would have to reverse 200 m up the road with cars on both sides. Never again, my nerves couldn't stand it!

littlecrystal Sat 08-Feb-14 23:50:30

First house. You cannot change location, parking etc, but you can change inside. For the 3rd bedroom install proper loft room with stairs, or split the biggest bedroom

expatinscotland Sat 08-Feb-14 23:52:03

The two bed one.

Helpyourself Sat 08-Feb-14 23:55:52

You don't have children? There are two of you?
The 2 bed at most. confused

BackforGood Sun 09-Feb-14 00:00:11

The no off road parking would be a big 'no-no' for me, but I know some towns don't have that and people have different expectations.

Clargo55 Sun 09-Feb-14 00:05:57

What's wrong with that Helpyourself?

We're moving from a two bed to a three/four bed at the moment. We're going to have children very soon, but do not have any yet.

It will be much more difficult for us to get a mortgage once we have 'dependants' and I'm on maternity leave, so we are doing it now to get the best deal.

sleepyhead Sun 09-Feb-14 00:26:42

We went for the 3 bed option because we have 2 children with a 6 year age gap and it wouldn't have been appropriate for them to have shared within a few years.

If we'd been in your situation, or the age gap had been smaller, we'd have gone for the nicer 2 bed every single time, in a heartbeat.

starballbunny Sun 09-Feb-14 00:32:01

Neither. 3 bed with parking if you can possibly stretch to it.

Or 2 bed if you don't mind the thought of moving (and it's in a nice area and likely to sell easily).

We accumulate books, computers, machine tools, craft materials etc, etc and moving is a nightmare, we have only tackled once and never intend doing again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now