Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Opinions please- hardwood floor vs engineered wood vs amtico / karndean

(9 Posts)
shoom Sat 08-Feb-14 17:25:57

It would be for a large, open-plan living area including a hallway at the front door area and patio doors at the back.

I have a 2yo so will have turtle mats or similar at the patio doors.

What are your thoughts on the different types of floor? I want wood or wood effect.

furryfriends57 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:51:18

Hi Shoom after a lot of research especially on MN I have chosen amtico in oak for my kitchen / diner / playroom. It was an easy decision in the end as tiles are too cold without UFH, with 2 v small DCs the amtico is warmer to sit / fall on and with water spillages a very likely possibilty in both the kitchen and patio doors in the playroom the amtico wont warp whereas real wood might. I have seen lots on MNers say they have real wood in kitchen without any issues but I didnt want to take the risk. Hope that helps smile

cece Sat 08-Feb-14 20:53:48

I have Amtico in my kitchen/diner extension.

Yes it is nice and warm.
Yes it does not show the dirt - got warm stone effect tiles.
It has however, scratched where the chairs have been and I also have a small chip missing where I dropped a plate onto it, which broke and gouged a hole.

Only1scoop Sat 08-Feb-14 20:54:10

Just marking place to watch with interest as also looking at both
Thanks

furryfriends57 Sat 08-Feb-14 21:24:49

Cece, just wondering did you ask who you bougth it from about fixing it? If so i'd be interested to hear their answer as I asked about scratches and chips and was told that if you keep extra tiles / planks the problem one can be taken out using heat and an exact replacement put back, he explained that one of the advantages of vinyl is that it doesnt age so the replacement doesnt show. Wonder if my guy was fibbing just to get the same ...... hmm

shoom Sat 08-Feb-14 21:39:04

Thanks everyone, I like the idea of amtico but a small voice inside says "£70 per sq m for pretend wood?"

smile

cafesociety Sat 08-Feb-14 21:40:28

In my experience, real wood has too much movement, can be affected by moisture content in the air and can be slippery when wet.
Engineered wood would give better results.

cafesociety Sat 08-Feb-14 21:41:24

I also like vinyl, very practical and warmer.

cece Sat 08-Feb-14 23:42:59

I bought it online from one of the amtico websites that sell it directly. My builder knew a fitter. So no I had not heard that. In theory I could replace individual tiles as I have a few in the garage... umm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now