Talk

Advanced search

Sitting room floor, engineered wood?

(15 Posts)
dontcallmemam Sat 08-Feb-14 17:19:04

Possibly having UFH, the builder is suggesting engineered wood.
I've currently got real oak which I'm not keen on, it always looks dusty IYKWIM
Can you get a glossy, engineered wood? I've googled endlessly and the choice is enormous.
I like the look of this but haven't got a clue.
www.kahrs.com/en/Consumer/Products/Floors/Kahrs-Original/Classic-Nouveau-Collection/Oak-Nouveau-Bronze/
Any experts?

dontcallmemam Sat 08-Feb-14 18:04:31

I think the term is lacquered.

dontcallmemam Sun 09-Feb-14 06:53:31

Has nobody got a shiny engineered wood floor?
I'm obviously horribly out of date.

RoganJosh Sun 09-Feb-14 06:58:41

It says it's matt so isn't shiny. We used to have an engineered floor in our old house. I don't see why it would be less dusty that real wood though.

tomverlaine Sun 09-Feb-14 08:33:58

We have an engineered wood floor -oiled rather than lacquered - it's pretty shiny and doesn't look dusty at all- really pleased with it although it does scratch easily

dontcallmemam Sun 09-Feb-14 08:36:18

That sounds great, where did you get it?
How do you wash it? Do you oil it regularly?
Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to repeat an expensive mistake.

LurkingCinners Sun 09-Feb-14 08:41:30

We have matt laquered engineered oak, it isn't really "shiny" but looks clean (when it's clean).
Don't understand why your real oak floor looks dusty?

Have you considered sanding and treating it? You can put laquer on it yourself. I did this in the hallway with the real oak floor and used ronseal diamont (4 coats). Looks good.

MrsBobHale Sun 09-Feb-14 08:45:11

I have engineered oak. It's v easy to live with and a quick brush or mop makes it look clean.

I don't like it much though because it looks like laminate even though it was three times the price!

dontcallmemam Sun 09-Feb-14 08:46:27

lurking I'm moving so this is a new house.
The one we have now is reclaimed oak & I don't think it was ever treated properly in the first place.

MummytoMog Sun 09-Feb-14 08:47:08

You can get very shiny bamboo, which I think looks lovely. But wood floors of any kind won't transmit heat terribly effectively from UFH. I think you will have to lose solid wood as it won't cope with the heat, which is why you're thinking engineered I guess?

MummytoMog Sun 09-Feb-14 08:47:29

Ps, can I have your old solid wood please ;)

SanityClause Sun 09-Feb-14 08:50:59

Ours is a bit shiny. Its not matt, but somewhere in between. I wanted a dark smoked oak, but due to all sorts of problems we have walnut, instead. (Which is lovely.)

I'm not sure what you mean about looking dusty, though.

dontcallmemam Sun 09-Feb-14 10:33:49

Thanks so much for the comments. I'm not usually a ditherer.
mummyto yes, hopefully UFH so solid wood is out.
I'm not sure about having so many different floors downstairs. I might run the limestone through from the kitchen into this room. Would that look OK do you think? The main sitting room has old flags which are staying.

tomverlaine Mon 10-Feb-14 09:21:44

Ours is from xylo I think- its walnut. We went for oiled as with lacquered if you scratch it its hard to repair whereas with oiled apparently it can just be sanded (but depends on how thick the wood layer is)
You can get samples sent to you from various companies- there's a lot of variety - and width of boards gives a different look.

LondonGirl83 Mon 10-Feb-14 09:49:38

It's not the heat transmission why you can't have solid wood. Solid wood floors are less stable than engineered which are backed with ply (which is less prone to warping).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now