Talk

Advanced search

Redecorating north facing bedroom

(11 Posts)
RaisinGirls Sat 08-Feb-14 12:10:14

I'm planning on getting our master bedroom redecorated in the next couple of weeks and need some help on colour schemes please.

Its a north-facing bedroom but with a big bay window, so its light but a cold light. I have fitted wardrobes across one wall with two mirrored doors and two oak doors which will be staying and an oak king size bed frame which will be staying. I will be replacing the carpet and blinds.

Its currently got wallpaper on the wall behind the bed and then the other walls painted in a co-ordinating colour. Its very similar to this http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/wallpaper-wall-stickers/wallpaper/blues/Feature-Paste-the-Wall-Wallpaper-in-Annabelle-Duck-Egg-by-Dulux-12389003 which in the northern light feels a bit cold. I am not keen to go with the whole one wall with wallpaper route again as feel its a bit dated.

Any ideas on colour schemes to use, and if all walls should be the same colour etc? I love the White Company colour schemes, - i.e. lots of greys and whites, but think in the northern light that would feel sterile, when what I am trying to create is more of a boudoir look.

Sorry, mammoth post to ask for a colour scheme idea!

noddyholder Sat 08-Feb-14 12:38:43

I have just finished a refurb with a north facing master bedroom. It is painted in FB Elephants breath. The carpet is grey and there is a huge aubergine coloured rug which really lifts it and it isn't really cold. Have white fitted wardrobes in alcoved and big fireplace with a mirror over. Vintage grey and pink floral bedlinen and a couple of big paintings. I think as the EB is a bit 'browny pink' it doesn't feel cold.

Pannacotta Sat 08-Feb-14 14:35:18

I have two bedroom facing North, one is also West facing (two windows).
One is painted in Elephants Breath, the other is Charleston Grey (also F&B).
Both look good, the C Grey is a bit cosier if you like that look.
Both are good backgrounds for paintings/mirrors etc and both work well with pale cream/white paintwork.

RaisinGirls Sun 09-Feb-14 17:59:09

Just trying the Elephant's Breath sample out now. It's coming up brown / clay like to my eye. A nice colour but can't see it working with a grey carpet. What colour carpets do you guys have with the EB paint?

Pannacotta Sun 09-Feb-14 18:31:35

I have used it with dark walnut stained floorboards and also pale grey/beige carpet. I have also used it combined with darker grey and it works with all these colours.
Try a large sample on lining paper and look at it in different lights/times of day.
Doesn't really matter if we like it though, its what you think of it that counts!

Bonsoir Sun 09-Feb-14 18:37:10

A matte grey paint is ideal for north facing bedrooms as it absorbs the grey-tinged natural light. I have painted all my DCs' rooms in FB Elephants Breath, with white cornices, ceilings and woodwork, and it looks great and cosy.

oif Sun 09-Feb-14 19:23:00

Interesting - piggybacking on your thread as we have same - n facing bedroom with large bay window - to redecorate in new place. Elephants Breath certainly v popular. I have been thinking of something in grey/beige/clay range so will have to check it out.

These are my favourite pictures for inspiration:

www.pinterest.com/pin/304274518544958309/
www.pinterest.com/pin/304274518546000669/

For something completely different, I also have north-facing guest bedroom to decorate, and am thinking of going a little bit crazy and doing it all in this: www.fermlivingshop.com/collections/wallpaper/products/wilderness-wallpaper-gold or something very similar, with some navy or charcoal - headboard/bed accessories/blinds - and dark wood. sTill not sure whether this is great or terrible idea; I just really like the wallpaper and think if there's one room I can go a little mad it's a guest bedroom.

noddyholder Sun 09-Feb-14 19:24:56

It works with grey carpet looks amazing Have done it for at least 5 jobs. A warm grey and grey sisal looks good too

Pannacotta Sun 09-Feb-14 22:20:03

oif your second link looks like Charleston Grey which is what I used in a north/west facing bedroom (also with big bay window) and it looks really good, have mixed it with dark wood floor, shutters, dark fireplace and linen curtains.

Bonsoir Mon 10-Feb-14 06:57:00

Linen and velvet as furnishing fabrics look great in north-facing rooms painted matte grey. You completely lose the cold light effect.

neepsandtatties Mon 10-Feb-14 07:20:40

Dulux Timeless Classics Thimble Case is a warm (pink tones) grey too, and looks great with grey carpet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now