Talk

Advanced search

Need a new front door - options?

(11 Posts)
Sunnyshores Sat 08-Feb-14 11:26:54

Its a victorian terrace and a rental house, so I dont want want anything too expensive.
The existing door is an old aluminium DG door, its OK apart from the lock which is broken. Apparently it can be replaced but not with a multi locking lock (ie not very secure) and will still cost £200. New UPVC DG ++ and ugly, so need what else and where from?

SayCheesePlease Sun 09-Feb-14 08:22:52

have no idea, but was looking on ebay at front doors and they're not bad, if you do get one from there, make sure it fits your original/ existing frame

PigletJohn Sun 09-Feb-14 08:38:08

Get a solid wooden door, fitted with a BS deadlock and a BS nightlatch. It will be cheaper and more secure than a plastic door, and will last a hundred years longer. It will be easy to change the locks when necessary without special skills. Unlike a plastic door it will not go wrong.

If the frame is rotten or in poor condition change that too.

A joiner or carpenter can fit a door and frame much better, and more quickly, than a handyman.

Sunnyshores Sun 09-Feb-14 12:17:07

Thanks PJ - what sort of price do you think? Would certainly look better.

beaglesaresweet Sun 09-Feb-14 12:29:55

sorry for my ignorance, but what is 'BS'?

beaglesaresweet Sun 09-Feb-14 12:30:26

Banham something?

Briony32 Sun 09-Feb-14 12:44:28

BS = British Standard, I think.

PigletJohn Sun 09-Feb-14 16:13:14

There is a British Standard for thief-resistant locks. A BS 5-lever mortice deadlock in a solid wooden door is about as good as you can get, and not at all expensive. Supplement it with a BS nightlatch at shoulder height.

Sunnyshores Sun 09-Feb-14 18:38:11

most landlord policies insist on BS standard locks, not sure about home policies - worth checking you comply!

PJ what sort of cost do you think for wood door and fitting?

PigletJohn Sun 09-Feb-14 22:30:55

a "few hundred" pounds

Sunnyshores Mon 10-Feb-14 08:09:19

most acceptable thanks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now