The house we've been renting since November has a conservatory-style dining room and the roof leaks when it rains heavily. It's not a massive amount and it's not leaking onto any electrics, but it's a pain as we have to put a bowl or cloth under it whenever we notice it happening.
I told the agent about it at the end of December, a couple of weeks later the letting agent's contractor came round to look at it. Nothing further. Then I reminded them again a week ago. Still no news on when it will be fixed.
The contractor who visited let slip that the previous tenant had also complained about it.
I understand the landlord is obligated to fix it as it's the structure of the building, but what constitutes a 'reasonable amount' of time to get it done? It is not a safety issue, but it is an irritation to have water intermittently dripping onto our floor and/or dining table when we are paying nearly £2k a month in rent. Especially as we are used to owning our house and get things fixed as soon as they go wrong!
Agree with specialsubject Should take a few days to get someone out to take a look and agree a plan of action. Then say, maybe a couple of weeks to get the job completed, depending on the severity. I think you have waited long enough. Also agree the agent probably hasn't told the L, which is why we now manage ourselves and cut out the very expensive middle man.
As a longterm LL, I do all repairs absolutely on first available day I can get the workmen in. I think it only fair to the tenants. Also, roof repairs sound like something to fix asap in the LL's own interest, to avoid further damage, so daft to procrastinate. 2k monthly isn't a cheap property; much more than either of mine.
Any reputable agent should inform the LL immediately about repairs; I'd boot any agent who didn't immediately. My agents are meticulous about this.
Yes, agreed. It's in his interests to fix it as it goes on his wood floor. We try to put a bowl under but toddler keeps moving it!
We are only renting in between selling/buying, thank goodness.
I suspect it is cost, because the agent's contractor came round to have a look at the problem but I haven't heard anything since (other than, someone will be in touch to sort it out soon, every time I chase).
Technically they're in breach of the repair clause in the rental agreement. But does that give me any opportunity to terminate and go elsewhere? Or am I just stuck nagging/waiting?