Talk

Advanced search

'Reasonable' amount of time for landlord to do repairs

(9 Posts)
schmalex Fri 07-Feb-14 14:39:47

The house we've been renting since November has a conservatory-style dining room and the roof leaks when it rains heavily. It's not a massive amount and it's not leaking onto any electrics, but it's a pain as we have to put a bowl or cloth under it whenever we notice it happening.

I told the agent about it at the end of December, a couple of weeks later the letting agent's contractor came round to look at it. Nothing further. Then I reminded them again a week ago. Still no news on when it will be fixed.

The contractor who visited let slip that the previous tenant had also complained about it.

I understand the landlord is obligated to fix it as it's the structure of the building, but what constitutes a 'reasonable amount' of time to get it done? It is not a safety issue, but it is an irritation to have water intermittently dripping onto our floor and/or dining table when we are paying nearly £2k a month in rent. Especially as we are used to owning our house and get things fixed as soon as they go wrong!

specialsubject Fri 07-Feb-14 14:46:09

I would say it is the time it would take if you were the owner. So boilers can't be fixed in seconds, but you'd expect to get someone in a few days.

with this, you've no indication that anything has actually been arranged or done, and that's not reasonable. So write to the landlord, detailing what has happened, and ask what the plans are.

it is just possible that the agent hasn't told the landlord (happened to me).

HaveToWearHeels Fri 07-Feb-14 15:14:45

Agree with specialsubject Should take a few days to get someone out to take a look and agree a plan of action. Then say, maybe a couple of weeks to get the job completed, depending on the severity. I think you have waited long enough.
Also agree the agent probably hasn't told the L, which is why we now manage ourselves and cut out the very expensive middle man.

schmalex Fri 07-Feb-14 16:11:20

Hmm, thanks.

I will drop a line directly to the landlord then. I hate renting!

specialsubject Fri 07-Feb-14 17:22:24

no need for that in general - you just have a duff landlord, or possibly a duff agent. Reserve judgement until you find out which.

and remember you can be off at a month's notice!

schmalex Fri 07-Feb-14 21:09:43

Unfortunately our break clause isn't til May...

Thanks for confirming I am not being overly impatient though!

BigChocFrenzy Sat 08-Feb-14 13:34:08

As a longterm LL, I do all repairs absolutely on first available day I can get the workmen in. I think it only fair to the tenants.
Also, roof repairs sound like something to fix asap in the LL's own interest, to avoid further damage, so daft to procrastinate.
2k monthly isn't a cheap property; much more than either of mine.

Any reputable agent should inform the LL immediately about repairs; I'd boot any agent who didn't immediately. My agents are meticulous about this.

You are entitled to have those repairs done now

specialsubject Sat 08-Feb-14 14:41:42

agreed on all counts. Do the landlord a favour and contact him!

BTW if he does know and isn't doing anything, then you may need to involve the council/environmental health, as a leaking house is not on.

schmalex Sat 08-Feb-14 18:27:59

Yes, agreed. It's in his interests to fix it as it goes on his wood floor. We try to put a bowl under but toddler keeps moving it!

We are only renting in between selling/buying, thank goodness.

I suspect it is cost, because the agent's contractor came round to have a look at the problem but I haven't heard anything since (other than, someone will be in touch to sort it out soon, every time I chase).

Technically they're in breach of the repair clause in the rental agreement. But does that give me any opportunity to terminate and go elsewhere? Or am I just stuck nagging/waiting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now