Talk

Advanced search

Costs of moving an internal doorway versus changing a window?

(12 Posts)
SoulJacker Thu 06-Feb-14 18:30:48

We're starting to look at redoing our bathroom. It's not tiny but not huge either and the door and window are in inconvenient places.

The issue at the moment is that we're very restricted in the choice of baths as the distance between the wall and the door is only just big enough to fit baths that are narrower than standard.

So are choices are to move the internal doorway (non-load bearing wall) a foot to the left or replace the window with a narrower one which would allow us to have a shower on the external wall where the window is currently and fit a shower bath type affair which would be narrow enough on the doorway end. I'm guessing the doorway will be the cheaper option but not really sure? Not averse to going with a more expensive option if it would give us a better result.

I've attached a plan to my profile to show the current arrangement

SoulJacker Thu 06-Feb-14 18:35:09

Well, it'll be on my profile as soon as i stop getting errors uploading...

Rhubarbgarden Thu 06-Feb-14 20:19:59

I'd move your door rather than reduce window size.

SoulJacker Thu 06-Feb-14 21:59:47

Managed to upload the plan, the pinky red walls are external, the yellow internal.

KatyMac Thu 06-Feb-14 22:01:08

& your profile is private?

KatyMac Thu 06-Feb-14 22:07:05

Maybe an offset bath narrower at one end?

SoulJacker Fri 07-Feb-14 09:11:00

An offset bath with a shower at the wide end would still require either the doorway or window moved.

Anybody any ideas on the likely cost of moving the door?

KatyMac Fri 07-Feb-14 09:51:14

It depends if it is a plasterboard wall or a brick/block wall but 'making good' will be the issue - inside the bathroom is less of an issue as I assume you will be putting new floor down & decorating but in the hall/landing area carpet/flooring may need renewing and decorations to match.

If it's plasterboard maybe a days work?

SoulJacker Fri 07-Feb-14 09:54:08

It's a brick wall, the landing/hallway is further down the list than the bathroom so making good not too much of an issue :-)

JRmumma Fri 07-Feb-14 09:57:21

Can you just have a narrower door? Or do you need a lot more space? We have a narrow doorway with a sliding door on the outside. Our bathroom is ridiculously small and this was the only option for us as thee was nowhere to move the door to!

SoulJacker Fri 07-Feb-14 10:04:48

Current door is 30" and we could probably get a 27" door (although would have to try and source a matching door as currently we have original doors) but we'd still be limited in our options for a bath, really could use an extra 8" or so.

SoulJacker Fri 07-Feb-14 10:14:58

Actually just seen a bath like this which would work if we could have the shower centrally

bow bath

I'm sure I've stayed somewhere with an arrangement like that but cannot recall what the situation with the curtain/screen was

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now