Talk

Advanced search

Recent flurry of burglaries

(12 Posts)
allthatglittersisnotgold Thu 06-Feb-14 15:10:36

There's been a high number of burglaries in my area in the last few months. It's got to the point where we want a total overhaul of our security.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for front doors? Looking at a Titan Steel. Overkill?

Also anyone got any other good tips?

Armadale Thu 06-Feb-14 15:18:15

Don't know about front doors, sorry

This has happened where we live recently, we had occasional crime (normally bits of vandalism of cars, stuff like that) then 10 burglaries in our road in 5 weeks.

The police had a kind of info evening in the local supermarket cafe one evening.

They said never leave your doors or windows unlocked (obviously)
Proper lighting that goes on at night when triggered
Gravel on the driveway or by front doors if at all possible (noise deterrent)
Get a dog
Spiky Planting around vulnerable areas
And the main thing we picked up: to get a motion activated CCTV camera with lights to cover the access
(we bought two like this on their advice

They also advised us off the record to get our local councillors to write to the police to get them to do extra patrols (apparently councillors have access to separate funding (?) or something, that makes it more effective than the police just wanting to do more patrols.

allthatglittersisnotgold Thu 06-Feb-14 15:58:05

Thanks for your reply, did not know abotu motion activated cctv.

Someone I know got broken into very recently and they had locked doors/windows, gravel drive, adjoining neighbours were in, other flat have a dog, a working security light by the front door and on a main road! Still took a chance, so we are quite worried!

I will certainly be writing to local councillors!

Plumpcious Thu 06-Feb-14 16:05:13

Try contacting your local police to ask:

- if they offer a crime prevention service whereby someone comes to your house and gives you tailored crime prevention advice for your home;

- if they can tell you if there are any patterns to the thieves entering homes in your area, eg are they forcing front doors, or entering via back gardens, etc.

Then you can review your security accordingly.

BrownSauceSandwich Thu 06-Feb-14 21:34:06

Definitely get the rozzers in to assess your current set-up and advise upgrades. You could get a solid iron front door, but if you're not prepared to give up your original edwardian French windows at the back, that's how they're getting in.

I think this is where keeping up with the joneses has a value... You don't want your house to be the softest target on the street. It's a bit like getting chased by a bear: you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your friend.

aircooled Fri 07-Feb-14 17:07:32

We've just had our outside security lights replaced with ESP Guardcam LED ones. They have an SD card to record a few seconds of film when the sensor is activated (I think you can set it to work with or without the light coming on). You can even record a message to be played to the potential burglar! (Might upset the milkman though). At least if you have an 'incident' there might be some evidence on the camera and it's cheaper than a full cctv system. We haven't actually got the ladders out yet to remove the card to see how well it works - probably just cats and foxes anyway. I'll let you know when we do.

Chrysanthemum5 Fri 07-Feb-14 17:16:28

Our area has had quite a few break ins recently, mainly garden sheds but also a couple of houses. The police are doing extra patrols and have also given every house something called safewater. You paint it on things eg iPad, jewellery etc and it dries to a clear film, then if its stolen it can be scanned with a special light and it says who the item belongs to. No idea how or even if it works, but the police have put up signs to say this has been done in the area. I guess they are hoping it puts off opportunistic thieves.

PigletJohn Sat 08-Feb-14 10:36:41

First step is to get good locks on your doors and windows, and USE THEM.

unless you have a flimsy front door and feeble lock, there will be an easier way in, so don't spend thousands on a new door yet. A solid wooden door with a British Standard deadlock will be plenty to make your burglar look for an easier alternative.

Nancy66 Sat 08-Feb-14 11:34:21

might be cheaper just to get a grill across your existing door.

Thieves want to be in and out of a property in seconds - they see bars on windows, grills on doors then they probably won't even bother.

dontcallmemam Sat 08-Feb-14 11:44:10

I was told that a dog is the best way to deter burglars. Maybe not the most practical though.

bellablot Sat 08-Feb-14 11:49:35

Brownsaucesandwich has made quite a serious thread rather funny, sorry shouldn't chuckle.

Unfortunately, you cannot and will not deter these vile human beings from breaking and entering, if they take a fancy to your house they will hatch a plan to get what they want. I would say a dog is the best bet.

Nancy66 Sat 08-Feb-14 12:06:49

Bella - that's not true, you can easily deter and prevent burglaries.
Pretty much all burglaries are drug related. They're not highly skilled thieves they're lowlife junkies. they want to get in easily, get goods they can carry: laptops, cash, jewellery, cameras, ipods and get out.

If a property looks too challenging they'll move onto the next one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now