Talk

Advanced search

What should I put in my "fireplace";?

(11 Posts)
JuniorMint Wed 05-Feb-14 18:07:15

I have a sort of fire place hole in the chimney breast in the living room. There is no fire surround/mantle etc. Up until now I have had it filled with little logs. This is the closest thing I can find, except without the mantle surround part. Anyway, have just had the room painted and so the logs are out and now I fancy a change. What else could go in there?! Candles? Dried flowers? Twigs and pebbly shit? Any suggestions welcome! No wallpaper on chimney breast, just painted an off white.

dontcallmemam Wed 05-Feb-14 18:22:45

Big fir cones artfully arranged? I think I'd prefer your little logs though.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Wed 05-Feb-14 18:22:56

I have logs and I think they look great, same as you no surround.

In the past I have had church candles, plants, books and a free standing electric fire that looks like a log burner.

Notawordfromtheladybird Wed 05-Feb-14 18:26:43

Perfect for oversized, heavy, coffee table type of books

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Wed 05-Feb-14 18:26:44

Maybe change your logs. I got them from the Little Log Compony. I have big ones and small ones and change them around every so often.

TheRaniOfYawn Wed 05-Feb-14 18:28:59

I have logs, fresh evergreens and pine cones with fairy lights threaded through.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Wed 05-Feb-14 18:33:48

Ooooo fairy lights sound great, are they battery or plug in ones. I'd love fairy lights but think my logs are packed to tight.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Wed 05-Feb-14 18:40:41

Stand a fire grate in it with some cones etc.

lessonsintightropes Wed 05-Feb-14 18:42:36

We had logs, fancied a change, and put in a big statement lamp (like this one) only in green. We also have a glass vase filled with fairy lights in another one which also looks nice.

StuffedOwl Wed 05-Feb-14 18:46:02

What's in my fireplace hole is my username. A real one in a Victorian glass dome. Only because I definitely didn't want logs, fairy lights, candles, twigs or pebbly shit. In truth it is up on a shelf while the dc are young, it will be put back soon.

JuniorMint Wed 05-Feb-14 19:42:57

Thanks all! I like the idea of lights to brighten of up a bit, would have to be battery ones as not near a plug. The inside has been painted the same colour as the rest of the wall, but I'm not wondering if I should've got the inside a dark colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now