Talk

Advanced search

Cost of "knocking through"

(7 Posts)
lessonsintightropes Wed 05-Feb-14 15:53:45

We are currently in the throes of property search and all the places we like and are viewing at the weekend have tiny kitchens, with separate living rooms and dining rooms. Ideally we'd knock the kitchen and dining room into one, keeping the living room separate, and installing tri-fold patio doors at the rear. We know the cost of purchase and installation of the door will be about 8k (my sister had this done for a bit less last year), new kitchen about 10k but don't know how much knocking the wall through itself will be. Has anyone had this done and can advise? It'll be a brick wall not stud if that helps, and we're based in SE London.

poocatcherchampion Wed 05-Feb-14 15:56:36

we are paying £2k including a RSJ for a knock through. west Midlands.

hths!

It depends on the reliability of the builder and if the walls are supporting the weight of the building.
£8000 is waaay over the top!!
Ridiculous!

LondonGirl83 Wed 05-Feb-14 18:58:32

2k-3k would be right in London including buidling control fees, engineer calcs and making good (replastering etc). You'll probably need new flooring throughout the new open plan area.

lessonsintightropes Wed 05-Feb-14 19:22:06

Thanks all and very useful point about the flooring LondonGirl!

Mandy21 Thu 06-Feb-14 08:43:18

We're having something similar done. I think it depends on whether its just a straightforward removal of a wall or whether there are extras. Are there any electrics on the wall you want removing (light switches / plug sockets), or is there a radiator on the wall (or any pipes / plumbing)? Not massive extra costs, but certainly bump it up. Other costs that you might not anticipate are the need to level the floors in the 2 rooms, and as LondonGirl has said, the cost of flooring.

We're having the wall removed between the kitchen & dining room - pretty straightforward although radiator needs to be repositioned. �2600 ex VAT - we are in the North West.

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Thu 06-Feb-14 20:18:38

We are in Outer London and paid about 3.5k for knock through, that included taking down ceilings in both rooms, plastering throughout, plumbing and a few carpentry jobs. I thought it was expensive but given the high cost of labour here and seeing the work progress I guess it was about right. The hidden costs are electrics - £££ and flooring. All work completed within a couple of weeks. HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now