Talk

Advanced search

Roofing quotes - a 6.5K discrepancy!

(9 Posts)
MerryMarigold Wed 05-Feb-14 11:38:54

So....roof been leaking in a couple of places for a while (just creating a patch of damp) and we have been putting off the inevitable. With all the rain, we now need to do it. So having had a few quotes in, I am feeling totally lost.

One guy has said we need 2 new roofs (front section and back) which will come in at around 7K. The back roof tiles are too heavy (which we knew when house was surveyed 8 years ago). This guy is very good and comes recommended, but it seems a bit steep and very drastic! He would be checked out by the council control if he's doing a new roof which is added piece of mind.

Another guy (the dodgy one with only a mobile number, from yell.com) has said he can do it all for 550.00. Was a bit vague about exactly what though and didn't even get on one of the offending roofs. Said he guarantees for 5 years. Don't think we will go with this guy.

Another guy, from yell.com, seems a bit more kosher, has website etc. has quoted 1.3K, but is not replacing back roof which was highlighted as problem by survey. Sounds fairly similar to the 550 guy but a bit more thorough and professional (is this worth the extra 800 quid though?).

To complicate matters, we are planning to move in the next couple of years. If we sell, the survey will highlight the roof once again, though could get that knocked off the price. If we stay, we obviously want it done well so the problems don't start again in a couple of years.

Still got 2 more chaps to come round (1 who has been recommended, but he is more of a builder/ handyman than a roofer). I just don't know. If anyone has done their roof and had similar dilemmas, please share...

MerryMarigold Wed 05-Feb-14 11:39:38

PEACE of mind, FGS.

Plumpcious Wed 05-Feb-14 12:03:38

I assume the cheapest guy is offering to fix any existing problems (eg replacing a few tiles) rather than replacing the whole roof. Can't see you getting a new roof for £550! Be certain what each guy is offering you, so you can compare like with like. A completely 'new' roof would entail removing all existing tiles, wooden battens, and roof felt, and replacing it all with new materials. The type of roof tiles will affect the price too, eg slate is expensive; clay tiles are more expensive than concrete.

Will you need scaffolding? And do the roofers' quotes include that or will it be extra?

As for the local council/building control, I think they are supposed to be involved if more than a certain proportion of the roof is being replaced. Check your local council's website for information. In my borough they also insist that your loft insulation meets the latest standards, so you might need to bear that in mind too. It's also your responsibility to involve them - some roofers will notify them automatically, some might try to tell you it's not necessary. If the back roof tiles are too heavy and you don't have that section replaced, then I wonder if that would affect building control signing-off the part of the roof that is new.

MerryMarigold Wed 05-Feb-14 12:08:37

Thanks plump. The 2 cheaper quotes are not proposing much 'new' to the back roof. Basically tidying up. A few bits of flashing and rendering, painting with silicone, replacing a missing tile. I don't think council would need to be involved, but I will ask. The expensive guy already mentioned council. Haven't seen breakdown of his quote so will definitely ask about scaff.

MerryMarigold Wed 05-Feb-14 12:10:00

Yes, it is clearly a difference between fix or replace. I don't know which to go for though. We could empty our savings for replace - just about cover it.

PigletJohn Wed 05-Feb-14 12:13:22

Don't use the websites, go by personal recommendation, and drive around looking for people having their roof done. Ask for a card and write the home address on the back. Go back after a month and ask the homeowners opinion. You can usually get your friends and family to write fake reviews on the websites, or remove unfavourable ones.

Avoid anyone with just a mobile or non-local phone no.

Avoid anyone without a local address that you can go and look at, that isn't an accommodation address.

MerryMarigold Wed 05-Feb-14 12:19:48

Thanks piglet. The mobile one was dodgy. Could tell as soon as he walked in! I don't think we have a few months to wait. I can get another recommendation so I will try that too.

minibmw2010 Wed 05-Feb-14 13:55:34

The first guy is clearly talking about a new roof front and back hence the price, which sounds about right. The others are talking about fixing what's already there. I would go with the new if you can afford to or (a) you'll always be patching up and that'll soon add up and (b) when it comes time to sell you know the survey will be strong.

PenguinsDontEatKale Wed 05-Feb-14 13:58:08

If you think you might sell soon, it might be worth getting a surveyor to actually look at the roof again and tell you what really needs doing. Yes, it will cost a bit, but might be money well spent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now