Talk

Advanced search

Toilet advice please- PigletJohn? Other toilet afficionados?

(33 Posts)
FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 11:03:05

Replacing a loo, and have seen a nice one but the pan bit goes all the way back to the wall, rather than having a gap between it and the walk like they usually do. So there's no way you could get your hand to the soil pipe or underneath the seat without removing the whole thing. Is this a bad idea?

(Possibly my most niche post ever I think grin)

Thank you!

MummytoMog Wed 05-Feb-14 11:09:53

So long as it will fit with your soil pipe and cold water feed, this is fine. You may need to use a flexible connector if you have an odd soil pipe though. I rather like back to wall toilets. Are you replacing it yourself by the way, as you will find it easier if it is not back to wall.

They do look neater though.

PigletJohn Wed 05-Feb-14 11:19:14

Does it have a concealed cistern? They can be very tiresome to get at when they go wrong. Don't let anyone put a fixed shelf or tiles to prevent you getting at the top and bottom of the cistern.

I would want to lay the floor and tile the wall before fitting this pan, or the floor and tiles will block it into position.

Try to avoid a cistern with press buttons in the lid.

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 11:56:05

Wow thank you both, that was quick!

Builders fitting it, not me. It has a normal cistern, not hidden. They're going to tile floor first then put it in.

It has buttons on top, why is that a bad thing PigletJohn if you don't mind me asking?

I'll try and do a link

it's this one

Rooners Wed 05-Feb-14 11:58:23

Oh I am wondering about the buttons now too.

Was about to order a Bathstore Victorian toilet and apparently the handle on the handle version is rubbish so was thinking of the buttons.

PigletJohn Wed 05-Feb-14 12:05:31

The ones with the buttons go wrong and people find it difficult to get the top off or fix.

See if you can do it.

toomuchtooyoung Wed 05-Feb-14 12:39:00

top buttons impossible to fix. and my two over exuberant dcs have broken button twice.

pigletjohn, does that mean front buttons are ok, and diy fixable? had been looking at getting a proper old school lever handle

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 12:43:07

Aargh. So now I need a nice modern looking loo with front buttons.

I'm not finding toilet hunting very scintillating grin. It doesn't help that DH has to lift up the seat in the showroom and sit on it properly to suss out its poo-worthiness

GuinevereOfTheRoyalCourt Wed 05-Feb-14 12:57:10

Good advice about the buttons on the top, PigletJohn. Two years too late for me unfortunately!

OP - it depends where your soil pipe is. We couldn't have had a flush fitting loo like the one you've linked to as the soil pipe runs sideways to the pan and was boxed in.

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 13:42:46

Soil pipe comes straight out of wall that loo would be against, as does water pipe. Am on hunt for front flushing loos but can't find any!

Suttonmum1 Wed 05-Feb-14 13:49:37

Also find out whether you can easily get replacement seats and how to replace them, as modern styles are a bit 'different'. Asking this in B&Q uncovered that they sell no replacement seats for many toilets. Consider ordering a spare for what you buy.

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 14:23:53

Oh I could write a whole other post on loo seats ( and probably will). I'm trying to replace the seat of another loo which seems to be much longer than any stocked in the UK. They seem to sell elongated seats in America but I'm not paying a fortune to import one!

PigletJohn Wed 05-Feb-14 14:41:48

mostly the cisterns without buttons on top have a handle not a button.

However there are some cisterns fitted with a quiet flush that can be operated by a button. Always make sure you can take the lid off and look inside. You will probably find either a fluidmaster valve or a flapper

I am especially fond of the flapper, which is stunningly simple, and gives a powerful flush even from modern low-capacity cisterns.

If you can easily get the top off you can at least inspect and repair the thing.

lessonsintightropes Wed 05-Feb-14 16:10:52

I might win a prize for most pointless comment, but I really like the Japanese shower toilets and places in the UK have started selling them now. I fully intend to install one when we've moved, fell in love with them when we were in Japan a few years ago. They have models which have both bidet function and hot air to dry you (as opposed to using loo roll)... fabulous.

Rooners Wed 05-Feb-14 17:26:54

Those are nice, John.

I don't suppose you would know of a brand to get that does a fairly classic, simple Victorian loo, only better quality than Bathstore? Bit worried about their handles tbh.

Sorry for the hijack.

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 17:42:45

I'm amazed so many people are interested in toilets, it's fab grin

Rooners Wed 05-Feb-14 17:45:18

Thankyou, that is very gracious...it would seem a bit divertory to start another at the same time!!

Suttonmum1 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:03:52

This is very sad, but I can admit to this:

The cheapest toilet seats anywhere seem to be in Ikea. A member of staff there told me they sell them at a loss. When we ought a new toilet we made a template of an Ikea toilet lid and took it with us when we chose. I now have brand new toilet, will use Ikea spares as needed and I have a spare of the ludicrously expensive Villeroy and Boch (sp) one for when we sell the house in 20 or more years.

Alwayscheerful Wed 05-Feb-14 21:09:18

I must go and look again but (Piglet john?) we have a squarish back to the wall toilet and the toilet seat has come loose, the bolts seem to be concealed, any idea how I access the bolts?

toomuchtooyoung Wed 05-Feb-14 21:23:16

bit of a long shot, but anyone bought a loo online that has a lid you can remove

Alfiecat Wed 05-Feb-14 21:41:54

We have a problem with our loo seat too. The fittings are 23 cm apart and not the standard 15 cm, still not managed to find a decent loo seat to fit.

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 22:36:44

This is like a Toilets Anonymous Support Group!

Alfiecat I did find a discontinued toilet seat company (!) online where you sent in your toilet measurements and they would search their database for you to find one that fitted. Alas my long toilet couldn't be matched. They did a bespoke service for about £200 a seat!

Devora Wed 05-Feb-14 23:15:18

Ooh, I completely agree about not tiling your toilet in. Discovered that one the hard way...

I'm a teensy bit excited [need to get out more emoticon] about Ikea toilet seats, since I can't bring myself to throw money at expensive loo seats but the last one I got (Woolworths!) was complete rubbish and now needs replacing. Anyone tested the Ikea one for durability?

Am loving this thread: all Mumsnet's ultimate saddos gathered in one place grin

wetaugust Wed 05-Feb-14 23:34:46

I was talking toilets with fitter this morning blush

Asking him all the same questions that have appeared on here.

I'm now supposed to choose a loo but I am struggling!

Does anyone have an example of a non top-button-flush loo please that they could point me too?

Alfiecat Thu 06-Feb-14 00:30:34

Do you have the link for the discontinued loo seat company? Maybe they have one for ours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now