Talk

Advanced search

Townhouse - different flooring on all levels silly?

(6 Posts)
TDR Wed 05-Feb-14 09:06:46

I think we've decided on porcelain tiles on ground floor (because of underfloor heating mainly) but on the first and second we're not sure.

I quite fancy trying engineered wood one the first floor (living area) and some sort of kardean/Victory Luxury Flooring, or even marmoleum on top floor (bedrooms).

Would love your opinions.

WildThong Wed 05-Feb-14 09:10:32

I don't really like the show house look of same flooring throughout, it's a bit bland. Each room or place in your house will have its own look or character so do what you feel is right.

TDR Wed 05-Feb-14 09:13:03

I'm trying to avoid this house having a "show house" look. It's difficult because it's a total renovation so we need to be careful.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 05-Feb-14 09:14:15

We have a town house with tiles in the ground floor, laminate in the hallway and carpets on the rest (vinyl in the upstairs bathroom).

These choices aren't all ours - the laminate was here when we moved and it's not very attractive but it is very practical for a hall.

The goal with the townhouse is not to transfer dirt onto upper floors - our carpets are much cleaner on the top floor. We even have downstairs slippers and upstairs slippers. The ground floor gets very dirty because of the muddy garden etc.

PigletJohn Wed 05-Feb-14 09:20:41

Hard flooring is really excellent for creating noise and irritating the neighbours or anyone trying to sleep or sit quietly.

TDR Wed 05-Feb-14 09:53:29

Piglet John we're going to insulate party walls (accoustically and thermally) and insulate the flooring, plus we don't wear shoes in the house so I hope we've covered the noise issues in the project.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now